Schwalbe Durano RaceGuard Dual Compound Folding Road Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Anyone running on these with any comments. Looking for reasonably light easy rolling with some puncture protection.Also considering the more bomb proof Durano plus.

Currently on Michelin Lithion 2 and averaging a puncture about every 100 kms at the moment and they aren't very old or worn yet.Nice and supple to ride on though.

Just tweezered out a tiny fragment off glass that worked its way through causing latest fairy visit but thorns or anything seems to get through them.

I think that is what I currently use on my winter bike. Certainly Duranos and not plusses, so they must be. I am definitely in the "fast and grippy, please and I don't mind the odd puncture" camp, and they suit me fine. Don't last all that long, and the sidewalls tend to go, but a good handling tyre.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I tried Lithions and they were awful. There wasn't a ride without a flat. I had bought two pairs - binned the first and sold the second.

Currently I use Vittoria Rubino on the commuter and GP4000S 2's on the best bike but I've a pair of Durano's I'm about to try. My youngest rode all winter on Durano Etape's and prefers them to GP4000S' as apparently "they slide better round corners" :wacko: .

I got some Lithions cheap and was expecting the worst given their reviews and IIRC a p'ture on their first or second ride but after that though the were fine for a good few thousand miles. They did fail a few times after that and they were subsequently replaced.

I've never tried the Durano's and my only experience of Schwalbe is the tubeless one I fitted less than month ago.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the replies . The Raceguards are considerably lighter but Pluses are probably better for my type of riding. ie don't race but do lots of country lanes and my town seems to have more than its share of glass.

A bit concerned to read reviews saying Durano Plus are a bitch to get on and off the rims. Deciscion time soon.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies . The Raceguards are considerably lighter but Pluses are probably better for my type of riding. ie don't race but do lots of country lanes and my town seems to have more than its share of glass.

A bit concerned to read reviews saying Durano Plus are a bitch to get on and off the rims. Deciscion time soon.
Not the easiest but I managed it without levers so you will be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Durano Plus are a good commuting tyre. On the heavy side but pretty bomb proof. My old commute was on a shared path for about 3 miles of the 12 and the glass would cut through most tyres.

The Duranos did get cut but I only got one flat in 12 month's.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Pressed the button on the Durano Plus tyres. Hopefully be here for next weekend as I am out on a hilly 100k with @Donger on Saturday if not will take several tubes.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ran my rear Durano long enough for the puncture proof blue strip to show. They were worn out. Most tyres keep flatting before the casing is seen.

I found them quite hard work at first coming from Conti 4 Seasons, but you soon get used to them.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I did the complete reverse. I went from Durano Plus to Michelin Pro4 Endurance for less than a month then to Conti 4 seasons after i got a p+ on the Michelin.

Definitely prefer the 4 seasons to the Durano Plus though not as bombproof as the Duranos but have a lower rolling resistance. I was running Durano Plus tyres for more than a year (maybe almost 2 years) in all weathers before deciding i wanted a change.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Did a final 20 miler this morning on the Lythion 2 tyres.True to form had yet another flat.

They are now in the bin and the durano pluses are on.

Easy to get on rims.no talc or levers needed.Only had time for a quick 5 miler but seem to roll along fine and felt confident on a fast downhill double bend.

Certainly look like tough tyres only time and miles will tell.will report back after a few hundred miles if anyones interested.

Top Bottom