Schwalbe Marathon Woe's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Fitted a set of Marathons to my Marin daily commuting bike to cut down on the number of fairy visits.
Been on for a couple of weeks now and I am aware how much more nervous the bike is when cornering and in the wet especially.

WP_20160413_001.jpg

Replaced ageing City jets which never gave me any concerns at all, might end up replacing the Marathons.

WP_20160413_002.jpg

Anybody else had any issues with these

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They do take a while to 'scrub in'

machew

Veteran
I think it is to with the lower pressure that these tyres run at. On my trike I get understeer as I only inflate them to about 80 psi compared to the 120 psi I have on my "Summer tyres"

Debade

Über Member
I have not found a problem with these tires but I do not ride very fast since I use them on my touring bike. (and I do not bike fast anyway.)

Did you see this from the Schwalbe site? If not, maybe the direction of the tire is a problem?

What do the direction arrows mean?
Most SCHWALBE tire sidewalls are marked with a "Drive" arrow, which indicates the recommended rolling direction. When in use, the tire should run in the direction of the arrow.

Many MTB tires are marked with a "Front" and a "Rear" arrow. The "Front" arrow indicates the recommended rolling direction for the front wheel and respectively the "Rear" arrow is the direction for the rear wheel.

Why are there so many tires with direction arrows?
In road tires, a tread with a rolling direction generally provides a slight reduction in rolling resistance. In addition to this, aesthetic considerations can also be important.

Off road, rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimum connection between the tire and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces.

Driving and braking forces operate in different directions so this is why certain tires are fitted in opposite rolling directions when used as front and rear tires. There are also treads without a specified rolling direction.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They've always been fine for me. You might want to test a few different pressures to find the right one. I find that under-inflated Marathons are squirmier and much less sure than whe they're fully inflated, but with enough air they're absolutely rock solid. I've had some other tyres (Spesh Armadillos) that are horrible in comparison.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most tyres are a bit skittish, especially in the wet, when new due to the chemicals used in the manufacturing process in the moulds. Michelin Pro Race have to be ridden carefully for the first few rides.

Ajax Bay

Guru
maybe the direction of the tire is a problem?
The way round you mount a cycle tyre has no effect on traction ON THE ROAD (asphalt/tarmac/paved). As the passage you quoted goes on to say, I paraphrase: "it's aesthetics, init!"
In road tires, a tread with a rolling direction generally provides a slight reduction in rolling resistance. In addition to this, aesthetic considerations can also be important.
AFAIK, there is no data showing that, for road tyres, rolling resistance is altered by the the 'direction' the tyre has been mounted. The direction arrows are there to minimise (ie save LBS/manufacturer's time) people asking which way round to mount it.

bladesman73

Über Member
got marathons on my marin hybrid commuter , no issues at all and going strong almost 1 year in after daily commuting in all weathers, have 40mm on back and 35mm on front back at 80psi and front 60psi..i weigh 200llbs so wont go lower on rear.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They've always been fine for me. You might want to test a few different pressures to find the right one. I find that under-inflated Marathons are squirmier and much less sure than whe they're fully inflated, but with enough air they're absolutely rock solid. I've had some other tyres (Spesh Armadillos) that are horrible in comparison.
That. Run them on multiple bikes in multiple sizes for years, never had any problems whatsoever. And surprisingly fast to boot. Check the pressures, stick with them.

Kip67

Fitted a set of Marathons to my Marin daily commuting bike to cut down on the number of fairy visits.
Been on for a couple of weeks now and I am aware how much more nervous the bike is when cornering and in the wet especially.

View attachment 124822

Replaced ageing City jets which never gave me any concerns at all, might end up replacing the Marathons.

View attachment 124823

Anybody else had any issues with these

Snap! Same experience as yourself. Also I mucked about with different pressures because I found them harsh with road vibrations. It didn't help. So I've accepted I'll get punctures ( not that I've had any) and changed to Duranos which are much more comfortable. FWIW I did 5000 miles on the marathons without a puncture.

contadino

Veteran
I have Marathons on 3 bikes and the most recent pair have never been right. They started off with ripples, but that sorted itself out when I upped the pressure. Now one has wobble. According to the line, the tyre is sat in the rim properly, but it's just not right.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have not found a problem with these tires but I do not ride very fast since I use them on my touring bike. (and I do not bike fast anyway.)

Did you see this from the Schwalbe site? If not, maybe the direction of the tire is a problem?

What do the direction arrows mean?
Most SCHWALBE tire sidewalls are marked with a "Drive" arrow, which indicates the recommended rolling direction. When in use, the tire should run in the direction of the arrow.

Many MTB tires are marked with a "Front" and a "Rear" arrow. The "Front" arrow indicates the recommended rolling direction for the front wheel and respectively the "Rear" arrow is the direction for the rear wheel.

Why are there so many tires with direction arrows?

Off road, rolling direction is far more important, as the tread ensures optimum connection between the tire and the ground. The rear wheel transmits the driving force and the front wheel transmits the braking and steering forces.

Driving and braking forces operate in different directions so this is why certain tires are fitted in opposite rolling directions when used as front and rear tires. There are also treads without a specified rolling direction.

must admit i am pretty sure they are the right way round but will check and have a play on pressures and see what difference it makes

No problems here. The Originals are my favorite tyre, really bombproof.
I am a slow cyclist though :blush:

@Pat "5mph" a slow cyclist maybe , but a fast lady i am sure

Ajax Bay

Guru
must admit i am pretty sure they are the right way round
The "right" way? Are you taking these tyres off into mud? If not it really does make not an iota of difference whether the arrow is pointing left/right or up/down or clockwise (from which side). On the other hand, maybe they look nicer on one way rather than the other. Remember that if you think it'll make a difference the rear tyre should go the opposite way to the front tyre as the former is (mainly, and limit case for grip) allowing drive and the latter is primarily being used (limit case for grip) to effect deceleration.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have Marathons on 3 bikes and the most recent pair have never been right. They started off with ripples, but that sorted itself out when I upped the pressure. Now one has wobble. According to the line, the tyre is sat in the rim properly, but it's just not right.
Suggest you take the one with a wobble off and examine the threads on the inside, where the wobble is. If left the wobble results in increased wear at the apex of the wobble as the tyre is squirming (read changing very slightly in direction and then back again on every (single) rotation) and this rapidly creates a thin patch on the tread. And then one of the sidewalls starts to bulge (in extremis to the extent of fork or stay rubbing).

Top Bottom