Schwalbe Marathon Woe's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The "right" way? Are you taking these tyres off into mud? If not it really does make not an iota of difference whether the arrow is pointing left/right or up/down or clockwise (from which side). On the other hand, maybe they look nicer on one way rather than the other. Remember that if you think it'll make a difference the rear tyre should go the opposite way to the front tyre as the former is (mainly, and limit case for grip) allowing drive and the latter is primarily being used (limit case for grip) to effect deceleration.
I agree re making no or little difference both are pointing the right way and purely tarmac only use .

Marathon plus on three bikes, absolutely bullet proof. No problems with grip or traction, can only think pressure could be the problem.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm aware that the M+ I run on the front of the SMGTe is a little skittish. I put this down to it wearing unevenly around its cross section (it has many, many, many miles on it) and the choice of compound Schwalbe use. My fast bikes use Durano (or Durano Plus) tyres, and they have a quite unsettling sudden grip failure in certain types of wet. Tends not to be a problem, but it does make for lively braking / turning at times.

When its pumped up to a decent pressure, I can feel the M+ change behaviour as I tip the bike into a turn (away from the normal contact patch and towards the side wall). If its running low on pressure, the change in grip characteristic and radius gets compounded by the tyre squirming to handle the corner. If its wet, then the deformation also sees you swing wider in the turn.

It sounds scary, but to be honest, I just dial it out by turning low and hard, pitching the bike over to the point that I know I'm assuredly off the ridge.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely a tyre with that much tread and a hard compound will be skittish, especially in the wet, as it's not actually making much contact with the road?

biking_fox

Guru
Surely a tyre with that much tread and a hard compound will be skittish, especially in the wet, as it's not actually making much contact with the road?

This probably - and pressure obviously. It was one of the things I really struggled with when switching from my 700x23 (road bike)to the 26"x1.5 (tourer). A lot of the tyres just felt heavy and boggy, they sagged are around corners compared to the tight (twitchy) line I was used to. The MPs helped quite a bit because at decent pressure, they ride much more like a road tyre. They're still very heavy though!

Globalti

Legendary Member
The best tyre I have ever ridden in the wet is also the one with the softest compound, the very excellent Veloflex Corsa. They also have a "file" pattern, which helps them to stick like glue in all conditions. However they don't last very long. For me the superb comfort and grip are worth the short lifespan, especially when you can get a pair for £52 from Ribble. I wouldn't say they puncture any more than any other road tyre I've used, probably once every 750 miles on average.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fitted a set of Marathons to my Marin daily commuting bike to cut down on the number of fairy visits.
Been on for a couple of weeks now and I am aware how much more nervous the bike is when cornering and in the wet especially.

View attachment 124822

Replaced ageing City jets which never gave me any concerns at all, might end up replacing the Marathons.

View attachment 124823

Anybody else had any issues with these
Hiya
I recently put M+ on the Brompton and for the first rides found them skittish and scary as hell, especially if a little moisture about. However they seemed to have scrubbed in and I don't notice any issues any longer. I just pump them up to 100psi and ride.

My new cycling buddy had an off on a slightly raised wet paving edge when his were new causing him to fall where others didn't. Again, some miles down the road they're fine.
So just take it easy for a while until you've warn the shine off them!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hiya
I recently put M+ on the Brompton and for the first rides found them skittish and scary as hell, especially if a little moisture about. However they seemed to have scrubbed in and I don't notice any issues any longer. I just pump them up to 100psi and ride.

My new cycling buddy had an off on a slightly raised wet paving edge when his were new causing him to fall where others didn't. Again, some miles down the road they're fine.
So just take it easy for a while until you've warn the shine off them!

@Fab Foodie thats my plan its just unnerving as i have road bikes with 21c tubs that are less skitty in the wet than this old Marin mtb that prior to these tyres on has given me many a smile a mile

Ciar

Veteran
I have been running M+ myself for the last three years, love em to bits i run mine on the previous bike and the new bike @ 95 psi and will run them on the soon to be new bike around that same pressure hopefully :smile:

simongt

Guru
Been running Marathons on my commuting tourer for about two and a half years now. Had two punctures in that time. The main reason I went for them was that my LBS recommended them as they are one of the few 26" tyres with a dynamo strip on the sidewall. Notice that yours are 1.75s. I run 1.25s @ 80 psi, as the LBS said that he found that the 1.5s feel 'a bit dead' in comparison to the 1.25s, so maybe the 1.75s can tend to feel less responsive - ? So apart from fitting new ones being a sod, I'm very pleased with them, but as with some other posts, I'm not a fast rider.

simongt

Guru
As an addendum, the only occasions I have 'issues' with my Marathons in the wet is if I am obliged - because of traffic conditions - to ride over manhole covers or broad road markings. But then they are likely to dump you:wacko: regardless of which tyres you have - !

Top Bottom