Schwalbe to stop making tubular tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
So it isn't tubular tyres they aren't making at all. It is tyres that need tubes. Which is completely different. Might be worth editing the title of the thread?

Thats a bit of a disaster. I think they will lose a lot of business. Tubeless is great when it works but is a right faff when it does´nt and that is quite often.

I try tubeless every now and again, but soon revert back to tubes. Fortunately I have moved over to Gravel Kings.

Are they stoping production of tubeless or tubular tyres?
Tubular tyres are a cottage industry so you will always find someone in a basement in Belgium sewing them up.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So it isn't tubular tyres they aren't making at all. It is tyres that need tubes. Which is completely different. Might be worth editing the title of the thread?
No, it is tubular tyres they are not going to make any more. The picture at the top of the article is presumably a tubeless, they are unlikely to cease production of tubed clinchers for a long time yet as tubeless are only fitted by a small number of enthusiasts, tubed are used in nearly all bikes.

The clue is in the text if anyone is in doubt, "In terms of sales, he also pointed out that “almost all of the [tubular] tyres we were moving were to sponsored athletes — people that have their own mechanics — not people that actually ride their bikes and buy their own tyres".

The use of tubulars - once standard fitment even at the lowest level of racing - has been in decline for years with the increased standards of clincher tyres and rims.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It looks to me as they are stopping making tubular (tubs) tyres. It would be madness if they stopped making tyres that need inner tubes!
The thread title reads correctly.

It looks to me as they are stopping making tubular (tubs) tyres. It would be madness if they stopped making tyres that need inner tubes!
The thread title reads correctly.
A modern style of tyre is "tubeless", ie no inner tube required like a car tyre.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A modern style of tyre is "tubeless", ie no inner tube required like a car tyre.
Yes I know, many cyclists are moving now to running tubeless tyres, equally many are reverting back to inner tubes because running tubeless with sealant is such a painful messy faff. Schwalbe are stopping making Tubular tyres also known as ‘Tubs’, the kind that are closed tubes glued on to a non clincher rim.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I struggled to find a pair of ultremo HT last season and have decided to switch to Veloflex for next season .

Good afternoon,

I am gutted.........

When I was at school I built up a bike from a Raleigh Shadow (non alloy steel mass produced 5 speed) and a 531 Holdsworth frame that my paper round funded.

A 531 frame with a cottered steel crank set in the late 1970s wasn't very cool, but I had a bike with a 531 sticker, I was the real thing.

I also had the sprint/tubs that I had upgraded the Raleigh with and as this was the only bike that I had I used it everyday to go to school.

As I couldn't afford to replace the Wolber Juniors as often as needed, I think that they were about £5 each, meant that there was fun almost every night of finding the puncture, cutting open the casing, fixing the puncture and resewing the gap, it was great.

It made me the cyclist that I am today, how we laughed when some rich kid turned up with one of the first 700c rims on a Claud Butler, it wasn't even a proper bike, it was 531 main frame tubes only and not butted.

None of this is related to the fact that I had saved up for months to replace the 27 1/4 steel wheels with alloy sprints and I couldn't tell the difference once I had them.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom