Schwalbe to stop making tubular tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Higher pressure for racing in not mud .
Hitler made a few mistakes as well , that's Germans for you :surrender:

Last edited:

I'm still mulling over this one. Tyres designed for mud are usually narrow so that they can cut through the mud and find some hard substrate underneath, if there is any to find. Tyres that float on mud e.g. wide tyres, tend to just skid around.

Therefore, soft tyres will float more than hard tyres given that the contact patch increases with a decrease in pressure.

However, mud is not an exact science by any means and tubbies in general are slicks, so my thinking is that there will be no diffrence between clinchers or tubbies in the mud, no matter what pressure. Any effect will be purely psychosomatic, otherwise known as self-BS-ing.

dodgy

So you're saying the legions of cyclo crossers, including pros, using tubs so they can run low pressures in racing are wrong?

Right, I see.

So you're saying the legions of cyclo crossers, including pros, using tubs so they can run low pressures in racing are wrong?

Right, I see.

Surely you can come up with a better argument than "everyone's doing it therefore it is right"?

Try attacking the points I made and dismantle my argument instead.

dodgy

Better things to be doing, you ever raced CX? I have, lots.
I'll let someone else pick your post apart if they can be bothered.

dodgy

Haha, jog on.

Road tubs you could run nearly flat and still ride, not recommended but you could. I imagine the same advantages confers to cyclocross and their suppleness probably allows them to deform better and you don't have to worry about burping or pinch flats. In every other way though, they're probably a farking pain. Gluing them on, fixing the things when they puncture, cost, puncture wounds in your fingers from repairs, the high cost of the swear box when fitting or repairing. Do pro teams still use them on the road?

dodgy

I think pro teams have started migrating away from tubs on the road, probably as much from pressure from sponsors as from performance.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm still mulling over this one. Tyres designed for mud are usually narrow so that they can cut through the mud and find some hard substrate underneath, if there is any to find. Tyres that float on mud e.g. wide tyres, tend to just skid around.

Therefore, soft tyres will float more than hard tyres given that the contact patch increases with a decrease in pressure.

However, mud is not an exact science by any means and tubbies in general are slicks, so my thinking is that there will be no diffrence between clinchers or tubbies in the mud, no matter what pressure. Any effect will be purely psychosomatic, otherwise known as self-BS-ing.
Instead of wibbling on just try it.

Road tubs you could run nearly flat and still ride, not recommended but you could. I imagine the same advantages confers to cyclocross and their suppleness probably allows them to deform better and you don't have to worry about burping or pinch flats. In every other way though, they're probably a farking pain. Gluing them on, fixing the things when they puncture, cost, puncture wounds in your fingers from repairs, the high cost of the swear box when fitting or repairing. Do pro teams still use them on the road?

Tubs are no more "supple" than clinchers. Further, they have a higher rolling resistance than clinchers unless they are glued on with lacquer (hard glue) and not contact adhesive.

Yes, you can run them much softer with less risk of pinch flats but why would you do that? Pinch flats are so rare, that sacrificing the convenience and low cost of clinchers for the twice-in-a-lifetime occurrence of a pinch flat is silly.

U

User169

I think pro teams have started migrating away from tubs on the road, probably as much from pressure from sponsors as from performance.

Kristoff rode Flanders and P-R on tubeless this year.

Top Bottom