Schwalbe to stop making tubular tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tubs are no more "supple" than clinchers. Further, they have a higher rolling resistance than clinchers unless they are glued on with lacquer (hard glue) and not contact adhesive
Perhaps in these days of wireless beads, they're not. My experience with them is that they 'feel' more supple when handled (some time ago though), right up until the point you need to try and get them on the fecking rim. Rolling resistance, sure, on the road, but cx, not sure it makes much difference and other factors are more important, like being able to ride them when they're flat.

I can't comment on the last bit because I have no experience of cx.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm still mulling over this one. Tyres designed for mud are usually narrow so that they can cut through the mud and find some hard substrate underneath, if there is any to find. Tyres that float on mud e.g. wide tyres, tend to just skid around.

Therefore, soft tyres will float more than hard tyres given that the contact patch increases with a decrease in pressure.

However, mud is not an exact science by any means and tubbies in general are slicks, so my thinking is that there will be no diffrence between clinchers or tubbies in the mud, no matter what pressure. Any effect will be purely psychosomatic, otherwise known as self-BS-ing.

Any tubbie that I have seen on the cross circuit is far from slick. File pattern maybe but still designed for the dirt, but most I have used have had quite heavy MTB style pattern as for lower pressure, well not as low as tubeless, that is speaking from the experience of snake bites in tubbies ( never heard them called that before)

Any tubbie that I have seen on the cross circuit is far from slick. File pattern maybe but still designed for the dirt, but most I have used have had quite heavy MTB style pattern as for lower pressure, well not as low as tubeless, that is speaking from the experience of snake bites in tubbies ( never heard them called that before)

File pattern is essentially slick and will perform no different from full slick. I can't see how it can be designed for dirt (other than say width) but still slick.

Heavy MTB-style tyre patterns do however have an advantage on soft surfaces.

In other words, if you want performance on soft surfaces, go for an aggressive pattern, not lower pressure or larger footprint.

Last edited:
Perhaps in these days of wireless beads, they're not. My experience with them is that they 'feel' more supple when handled (some time ago though), right up until the point you need to try and get them on the fecking rim. Rolling resistance, sure, on the road, but cx, not sure it makes much difference and other factors are more important, like being able to ride them when they're flat.

I can't comment on the last bit because I have no experience of cx.

Rolling resistance is universal. If a tyre has low RR on tarmac, it will have low RR on gravel etc etc. It doesn't switch depending on terrain.

screenman

Legendary Member
File pattern is essentially slick and will perform no different from full slick. I can't see how it can be designed for dirt (other than say width) but still slick.

Heavy MTB-style tyre patterns do however have an advantage on soft surfaces.

In other words, if you want performance on soft surfaces, go for an aggressive pattern, not lower pressure or larger footprint.

This is the type of file pattern I was talking about, compared with a slick the offer some grip, depending of course on the surface.

Donnelly%20LAS%202.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Undersell and over deliver, been my business motto for many years, seems to make happy customers.

Top Bottom