Scotland...Ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We did the Outer Hebrides in July 2013, and managed not to get eaten alive by midges. Perhaps they'd all drowned in the sideways rain... Out of the seven (IIRC) days we were here, we had three where it rained, sometimes quite heavily. These seemed to be the days we got ferries, and we kept seeing the same group of cyclists, who looked rather wet. @Fab Foodie had been camping there, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I meant three where it rained *a lot*. It probably rained a bit most days, if not every day!
An Airdrie friend of mine asked why we went to the Hebrides in November. When I countered that we actually went in July, he claimed that it's always November there...
I'm not exactly selling it, am I?

Slick

Guru
Thinking of going in August all being well and was after any ideas.Not a city break more somewhere a bit of the beaten track.Ive only really been to Glasgow and Edinburgh bit fancy somewhere different.
It really depends on exactly what you are looking for and I think you have already got a cracking suggestion in Carradale, which will feel very much the middle of nowhere but that's why most folk go and believe it or not, there is usually enough visitors to let the teenagers get up to enough mischief to keep them interested without getting into any real trouble. Some excellent day trips would be in easy reach from there like Arran, Gigha and even Islay although that's maybe better as an overnighter. Some excellent restaurants with the freshest of seafood and miles of unspoilt coastline and countryside. Doesn't have to be Carradale, anywhere in kintyre would be an awesome trip if all you have ever seen is Glasgow or Edinburgh. Enjoy :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anywhere in Perthshire (apart from the A9), my favourite part of Scotland. A close second is the Galloway Forest Park and Solway coast area. Other possibilities include, but are not limited to - western isles, Clyde islands, the borders, Edinburgh and the Lothians, Tayside, Fife, Grampian, anywhere north of Inverness, in fact anywhere with the exception of the built up area along the M8 corridor between Glasgow and Edinburgh! Get the weather, and there is nowhere better - however that "getting the weather" is the hard bit :laugh:. You've got a better chance the further you go from the west coast, but never guaranteed anywhere, and at ANY time of the year.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is getting a tan important?
In Scotland??

Slick

Guru
I think it should be quite clear to all that if sunshine is important to you, don't come to Scotland. Doesn't mean you won't get it, but only really likely in Brigadoon. :okay:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Au contraire, there is plenty of sunshine in Scotland, just not in August.
The cental borders is never swamped by either tourists or midges, is great cycling country with lots of scenery, good walking but f*** all else. May not interest teenagers but since the railway reopened it's less than an hour on the train to Edinburgh, plenty for them to do there.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Be aware that any tourist area in Scotland in August will be standing room only.
I would second Rosemarkie and have just been looking at some pics I took of that area but not been able to get booked on the site there for the last couple of years as I do not book a year in advance.
Dingwall is a possibility in that area and is fairly central and many places of interest are within easy reach.
Cycling to the Black Isle from there is easy on paths and then quiet roads as well as the Brann Estate which has rough roads but was quiet.
The NC 500 tends to clutter up any accommodation anywhere near it and the current staycation advice is also increasing numbers to bursting point everywhere.
Sorry to put a dampener on your ideas but I am realistic as well as a known cynic so far as tourism is concerned.
Booked onto Rosemarkie for 7 nights this year, booked back in January ! Its a cracking site, albeit blinking expensive for what is a field :-) Difference this year is we have a dog , which is perfect for the walks all around.

OldShep

Über Member
Booked onto Rosemarkie for 7 nights this year, booked back in January ! Its a cracking site, albeit blinking expensive for what is a field :-) Difference this year is we have a dog , which is perfect for the walks all around.
We’ve a week booked from 12th September. That was the earliest we could find getting more than 2 or 3 nights.
As long as you get front row, with the view, it’s excellent value. Get the shipping movements app open and I’m hooked. ⛴ 🚢 I get the impression those staying longer are more likely allocated the front row and the 1 or 2 nighters put to the back.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We’ve a week booked from 12th September. That was the earliest we could find getting more than 2 or 3 nights.
As long as you get front row, with the view, it’s excellent value. Get the shipping movements app open and I’m hooked. ⛴ 🚢 I get the impression those staying longer are more likely allocated the front row and the 1 or 2 nighters put to the back.
I was 2nd row last year, but we only booked a few a days before the reopening. Front row was all the motor homes , whom were probably all parked up in the highlands during lockdown! Personally not bothered , if your front row be prepared for folk cutting through to the beach. !

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My problem is even tho' I have been going to Rosemarkie for years I cannot reliably book more than a couple of weeks in advance and the custom now seems to be to book months in advance especially since the advent of NC500. Cycling from the site generally means a steep climb out but worth if for generally quiet roads. The dolphins of course are a big draw also for that site.
We used to turn up in the good old days in June or September/October and there was plenty of space.

I thought we had agreed that this was our secret, Shep!! Let the tourists carry on up the M74 and beyond :okay:.
D&G are doing their best to spread your secret; https://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/swc300-south-west-coastal-300/
(they've clearly seen the success of the North Coast 500 and thought "we want some of that!" )

Friends have recommended the area, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet - someone said D&G has the best beaches in Europe, but never the weather to make use of them! I've ridden (ever so briefly) over most sections of the mainland already (and a snip of Arran, Mull and Skye); outside of the cities it's all been lovely.

Top Bottom