Scotland...Ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
D&G are doing their best to spread your secret; https://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/swc300-south-west-coastal-300/
(they've clearly seen the success of the North Coast 500 and thought "we want some of that!" )

Friends have recommended the area, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet - someone said D&G has the best beaches in Europe, but never the weather to make use of them! I've ridden (ever so briefly) over most sections of the mainland already (and a snip of Arran, Mull and Skye); outside of the cities it's all been lovely.
Sadly, yes they are trying to develop another NC500..
The NC500 route and surrounding area used to be attractive for the very reason that it was quiet, isolated, and you could drive for miles without seeing another vehicle. I've not been up that way for a while, but it is widely reported that it's a nightmare. Traffic snarling up on the single track roads which were never intended to cope with such high levels of traffic. Accommodation which was always sparse is now even more sparse, and much more expensive. Litter has become a problem.... Just the usual nonsense you would expect where humans take over an area where they weren't so numerous before. Locals who haven't been able to cash in (i.e. the vast majority) are not best pleased, and tend to be less welcoming of vast amounts of visitors.
All of which is why I am hoping the D and G idea doesn't take off :sad:.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Kintyre peninsula is also eyeing up the idea and is trying to promote the Kintyre 60 [or is it 66 ?].

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for all the ideas and recommendations ! It's looking likely that were going to have to skip it this year.Price and partner wants to go home to Ireland so going to try and make that into a holiday.Weve not stayed at home on holiday for a good few years but the prices are mad ! Free accomodation in Ireland just have to put up with unlimited amounts of alcohol....not all bad 😁
Definately want to go in the next few years though.

We had a week up there, in October

2 x nights @ North Queensferry
This was my view!

2 x nights @ Inverness

Then we drove up to the 'top'; Thurso, Kyle Of Tongue, etc... and round....

1 x night @ Broadford (isle of Skye)
view from breakfast table

1 x night @ Oban

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Midges definitely prefer the West of Scotland, so I tend to head for the drier east coast.

the highlands are unbelievably beautiful and I hope to see them twice this year.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the area near Dornoch? JJust lovely.

're the comment on standing room only in August, they've obviously never been to the West country at that time of year. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Midges definitely prefer the West of Scotland, so I tend to head for the drier east coast.

the highlands are unbelievably beautiful and I hope to see them twice this year.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the area near Dornoch? JJust lovely.

're the comment on standing room only in August, they've obviously never been to the West country at that time of year. You'll be fine.
Don’t tell anyone about the few good places left.
Re standing room it is bad enough already but will only get worse. I cannot now get on ferries unless I book weeks in advance which is not a good situation. There is a reaction starting to restrict tourist numbers to allow those who live where I do go about our normal lives as best we can.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Don’t tell anyone about the few good places left.
Re standing room it is bad enough already but will only get worse. I cannot now get on ferries unless I book weeks in advance which is not a good situation. There is a reaction starting to restrict tourist numbers to allow those who live where I do go about our normal lives as best we can.

Plenty standing room left if you know where to go :rolleyes:

OK, so the ten hour hike to get there might not be to everyone's taste..

thankfully :angel:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I cannot now get on ferries unless I book weeks in advance which is not a good situation. There is a reaction starting to restrict tourist numbers to allow those who live where I do go about our normal lives as best we can.
The Largs/Cumbrae ferry has been a bit chaotic this last week with the good weather combining with the bank holiday weekend.
Passenger capacity slashed due to social distancing regs; but on this service there is no pre-booking option, so just turn up and go... or not, as the case may be. Over the bank holiday weekend CalMac suspended travel for day trippers on the Saturday. I am assuming the reason being is that getting so many people back from the island on the later ferries would have been impossible with the restricted passenger numbers. As they don't run extra ferries these days, it would have resulted in a lot of people being stranded. I am hearing that the Wemyss Bay/Rothesay ferry was struggling with demand as well, with waiting times of 2 hours or so.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Largs/Cumbrae ferry has been a bit chaotic this last week with the good weather combining with the bank holiday weekend.
Passenger capacity slashed due to social distancing regs; but on this service there is no pre-booking option, so just turn up and go... or not, as the case may be. Over the bank holiday weekend CalMac suspended travel for day trippers on the Saturday. I am assuming the reason being is that getting so many people back from the island on the later ferries would have been impossible with the restricted passenger numbers. As they don't run extra ferries these days, it would have resulted in a lot of people being stranded. I am hearing that the Wemyss Bay/Rothesay ferry was struggling with demand as well, with waiting times of 2 hours or so.
I happened to be at Tobermory pier last Friday and saw the queue for the Kilchoan ferry. It was so bad that many were trying to turn back away from the chaos. Main St at that point is parked both sides and at 9 o'clock in the morning delivery vans were trying valiantly to go about their deliveries. There is a photo a bus driver put up on FB showing the Main St some time this week. Gridlock. It is only going to get worse.

Unrelated to social distancing, I saw somebody tweeting the other day that there are currently more pandas in Scotland than there are working Calmac ferries.

Top Bottom