Scotland - John O Groats to Gretna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kilcoutryman

Hello
Anyone able to help with routes , timings etc for cycle from JOG to Gretna - hoping to do it August 2018 over four days.
Many thanks

flyingfifi

Über Member
try sustrans Scotland try routes 1,7,74 :bicycle:

jay clock

Massive member
on second thoughts this is likely to be much better https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26654271

It is the Deloitte Ride Across Britain route 2015 - three people I know have done it and it gets rave reviews. Only thing to watch out for is that will lead you to their camping locations.

I don't have a single GPX for the 2017 but I do have all the individual ones here along with a pdf for each day. Days average 110miles so you may want to break down further. You will need to upload the GPX into RWGPS https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8f582ky77jqfdt6/AADdSCxDN7cPrVxbV0uMhT3xa?dl=0

It's a question of what type of roads you're happy cycling down.
JoG to Gretna is roughly half the full distance.
So in 4 days it's approx 100 miles per day.
So JoG -> Inverness -> Fort Bill -> Glasgow -> Gretna all on main roads is simple but the roads get busy fast.
Smaller roads are quieter but further and lumpier.

Google cycle end to end, also look at the Cyclink UK forum.
Be aware that Sustrans routes aren't necessarily the most direct routes.

bruce1530

Guru
An alternative, a little further each day, but keeping away from the main roads in the central belt, would be

day 1: JoG-Inverness
day 2. Along the Great Glen to Fort William. Or Oban if you feel fit
Day 3: Kintyre peninsula to Claonaig, Ferry to Lochranza. round Arran to Brodick. Ferry to Ardrossan. Use the ferry trip to recharge batteries and push on for another 20 flat miles to Ayr.
Day 4: Through Galloway to Gretna.

I’d guess about 100-120 per day.

My mate did that route in reverse on his LeJog, although he did it over 7 days.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
An alternative, a little further each day, but keeping away from the main roads in the central belt, would be

day 1: JoG-Inverness
day 2. Along the Great Glen to Fort William. Or Oban if you feel fit
Day 3: Kintyre peninsula to Claonaig, Ferry to Lochranza. round Arran to Brodick. Ferry to Ardrossan. Use the ferry trip to recharge batteries and push on for another 20 flat miles to Ayr.
Day 4: Through Galloway to Gretna.

I’d guess about 100-120 per day.

My mate did that route in reverse on his LeJog, although he did it over 7 days.
Ditto to all that. That was my LEJOG route in 2015

sultzer

personally i would go down the east side as another poster put a map up .
jog to tongue to tain to inverness to aviemore to dunkeld to edinbrugh then to grenta
west coast to me was more steep hills very steep , traffic will be another problem as a lot of roads will be buiser , east coast has more cycle routes running along main route .
a few years back i did jog to mull of galloway opted for east coast , last year did the jogle opted for west .

Top Bottom