Scotland West Coast Route Advice Please - Kilwinning to Glenluce.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Straightup

Scotland West Coast Route Advice Please - Kilwinning to Glenluce.

I’ll be cycling between Caravan parks in the last week of May, from Kilwinning to Glenluce.

I’m looking for some help / local knowledge on planning a my route

A quick Strava route initially sends me through Ayr centre, is this ideal?

Then Maybole > Kirriemore > Glenruther > Glenluce

I’d prefer the route to be:

Scenic (countryside / seaside) with quieter, traffic free lanes much appreciated.

I don’t mind the hills.

Any areas to avoid, any areas to try and take in?

Thanks in advance

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try asking Google Maps for a cycling route, a cycling buddy of mine cycled from Lancashire down to Cornwall and back for a wedding using his smartphone with an earplug and was amazed at the routes it found for him.

Edit: I've just checked the route and Maps says 70 miles in 6 hours and 27 minutes, suggesting a fairly direct route. Looks lovely!

Or ask @Yellow Saddle of this parish.

OP
OP
S

Straightup

Thanks for these, Yes, I've worked up a couple of draft route through google maps and Strava.
I was just looking for some local input to point out any iconic climbs, routes, places that could be plotted onto the route that my own route may miss.
Similarly, any busy roads / towns to avoid when there is an easy options of lovely country roads and quaint villages.

OP
OP
S

Straightup

There looks to be another route of following the Coastal A77 which would probably cover 90% of the route - that looks an interesting option too.

boydj

Legendary Member
There looks to be another route of following the Coastal A77 which would probably cover 90% of the route - that looks an interesting option too.

Only if you enjoy being passed by lorries hammering down to the ferry at Cairnryan. To be avoided.

bruce1530

Guru
Don’t go anywhere the A77. Just don’t.

From Kilwinning to Ayr, you’re basically following the National Cycle Route 7. There are a few bits where locals will know a better alternative - personally, I’d miss out the twisty section from Kilwinning to Irvine, and just go through the town to Irvine harbour. The next section of NCN7 (to Gailles) is a reasonable path, but some sections have been damaged by tree roots - I usually just follow the main road alongside - it’s not busy.

When you get to Barassie, the path runs along brassie and troon beaches - there’s a short cut (“Local cycle network”) that runs alongside the golf course and takes a couple of miles off the trip.

Back onto NCN7, past Prestwick Airport, and along the seafront at Prestwick. There’s one section just before ayr centre where the route winds out to the commercial docks - I’d give that section a miss and stay on the road.

From the centre of Ayr, you can follow route 7 over Carrick Hill to Maybole, or take the route via Alloway.

After that, I’m less familiar with the roads - but @Brandane ’s suggestion of the Nic’o’Balloch is a good one. They don’t call that area the “Ayrshire Alps” for nothing....

http://ayrshirealps.bike

https://cycle.travel/map?from=Kilwinning&to=Glenluce&fromLL=&toLL=54.8798216,-4.8083738

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here you go; just need to reverse the route! This is Glenluce (well, Mull of Galloway actually) to Ayr on day 1 of my Mull of Galloway/John o' Groats ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1841579621

Kilwinning to Ayr is fairly straightforward and a regular route for me. This one is Largs to Ayr, so obviously just ignore the section from Largs to Kilwinning. It mainly follows the NCN route with a few tweeks, mainly to avoid the unnecessary circuit of Troon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2269359207

OP
OP
S

Straightup

That's all very helpful, thank you.

Any further input on loops of say a couple of hours riding time from Kilwinning and Glenluce would be appreciated too.
It would be nice to do a few loops on the bike from my base point on those too.

There are two very obvious loops from Glenluce through the Rinns of Galloway and the Machars. Apart from the A75 there aren't any roads to avoid.

bruce1530

Guru
Plenty of options for easy rides from Kilwinning - two of the national cycle routes cross there, so you can head:

north towards Glasgow on NCN7 - a bit lumpy for the first 10 miles, a poorly signed temporary diversion in the middle of that bit, then old railway line path as far as Paisley, so dead flat)

South towards Ayr on NCN7 - described above

East towards Kilmarnock on NCN73 - path to Irvine, then around the town, then old railway route to kilmarnock - about 20k each way

West towards Ardrossan on NCN73. You can then push on up the coast - Largs is about another 15k, mixture of paths and main road.

For a loop, you could go to ardrossan, then on towards Largs. Just before you come to Fairlie, turn right onto the moor road to Dalry. Steep climb for about a mile, then single track road on to Dalry - and several routes back to Kilwinning from there. (the A737 being the boring one). Or do it the other way round for a more gentle climb and good descent.

Or (one of my regulars) from Kilwinning, head towards Stewarton, then follow the signed cycle route to the A77 path. Head north towards Glasgow, and at the Eaglesham turnoff, go right, up the hill then right to the wind farm. Good views, and a good cafe. About 28k each way, with 500m climbing on the way out.

Or.... loads of other options, There are plenty of quiet roads around here, just avoid the A roads. The CycleAyrshire web site has lots of options.
http://www.cycleayrshire.co.uk/rCat.php

Top Bottom