Scott Sub Cross 10 Frame number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi all,

In May I purchased my Scott Sub Cross 10 which I love..... :smile:

Now, the frame number is on a sticker on the under side of the frame (as per the image) which as you can see has almost disintegrated :sad: even after 6 months, and I only use water and MucOff Bike cleaner to keep it clean, and only done about 4 times...

I have looked under the bottom bracket and all that is stamped is "SUB XL" and "1801" no other frame number... Does anyone know were I can look to see if it is stamped/etched?

Seems mad to me that the frame number is on a easy removable sticker rather than stamped/etched...

I must say it was dark when I have just looked but I could not see anything..

I emailed Scott but it seems you cannot get a replacement :sad: see below... I have emailed Scott in Switzerland to see if they can help.... If I can replace I would cover in helicopter tape and may even look at Datatag or Bike register to add some covert security..

Good Morning Stuart,

Thank you for coming back to us.

Unfortunately we are unable to get copy frames numbers made and issued from the factory.

This is extremely unusual to have a frame number decal do that, I would check the bike wash you are using in case it’s not PH neutral. Please keep a record of your serial on your proof of purchase as well just in case.

I know it’s not the answer you want but it may be worth making a sticker up and putting it under the protection tape.

Kind Regards

Frame number edited.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
The retailer purchased from should have a record. Just ask them if it's not on the invoice

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have got a record of the frame number on the invoice and on a card which Evans supplied, just seems strange that it is not stamped in the frame, or should I say appears not to be :smile: I may be looking wrong, after all it was dark when I checked with a torch :smile:

After all if the sticker is removed how do you identify your bike? ... If stolen all they need to do is remove a sticker which is stupid to me ..

I have been looking at Datatag to etch the frame/components

vickster

Legendary Member
I have got a record of the frame number on the invoice and on a card which Evans supplied, just seems strange that it is not stamped in the frame, or should I say appears not to be :smile: after all if the sticker is removed how do you identify your bike? ... If stolen all they need to do is remove a sticker which is stupid to me ..

I have been looking at Datatag to etch the frame/components

Get local plod to mark the frame for free

Don't see a lot of point marking components unless they are unique?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think my carbon bike may only have an I.D sticker and no embossed markings, while my latest steel frame has a clear stamped frame number in the BB casing that is masked from painting but then sealed over when the frame was lacquered. I must check the carbon frame more closely as the house insurance is due for renewal and the frame number may be needed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely that is the wrong way around? If you have a unique component then no need to mark it because nobody else will own one. If you have a mass produced item then it needs some kind of I.D to prove it is yours, and not one of the thousands of others that have been produced.
How are you even going to find a standard seatpost or whatever on eBay or a car boot sale? If it’s unique, it’ll be possible to identify on the off chance it appears somewhere

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have actually found an online barcode and QR code generator and made a new one up I can print off and use helicopter tape to protect/stick it to the bike :smile:

I have used a scanning app on my phone and it reads both OK...

Scott did send me an image with an example barcode and QR code and all that it is is the frame number... In addition I am going to use Datatag or Bike Register marking kits to mark the bike as well ..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Seems that Scott no longer stamp frame numbers in some, or all of there frames now and use a sticker cheaper and easier for them... seems a bit stupid that an important identification number can be easy to remove....

I printed my own off the other day and it looks good, scans OK etc so I will clean the unreadable one off and put a new one on with helicopter tape to protect it and stick it to the frame.... In addition I am going to etch the forks and frame using the Datatag or Bike register system...

I know if it ever did get stolen the chances of finding are slim but a better chance of you can actually identify the frame..

This is the last reply from Scott

Morning Stuart,

That’s fantastic that you’ve been able to do this!!

Just wanted to point out your frame number is also on a QR tab under the bike. See image

The frame number will not be stamped on, its more efficient in production to use the decals.

Pleased you got something sorted

Kind Regards

Andrew

On the etch route, what would you recommend, Datatag or Bike Register?

https://www.bikeregister.com
https://www.datatag.co.uk/bicycles-pro.php

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's not the main frame number sticker, it's just a barcode for stock identification. The frame number will be on a much smaller sticker under the top coat of lacquer for protection, either right under the BB or hidden beneath that temporary barcode sticker.

Muc-Off is falling out of favour with professional mechanics because it is too aggressive. Better to use car shampoo in hot water.

Don't waste your time trying to mark the frame, the Police aren't interested. If the bike is recovered it will just be chucked in the shed behind the cop shop.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

According to Scott customer services they only use this one sticker for identification... They sent me n example of what to look for which is off a different bike but matches mine..

QC Code.jpg

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have had it confirmed by another Scott dealer who checked a few with a Scott rep... seems they no longer stamp or mark frames...

Stuart,

Thanks for getting in touch, I’ve posed this question to Scott, indeed a rep was in store when your email came in.
He examined a few similar bikes and we found they continue this trend were that Frame number isn’t stamped, merely on the printed label.
We have relayed this to Scott.

Sadly I fear indelible marking, etching or tagging may be your only option.

The frame number for your bike should be on your original receipt, we cant find any records indicating you bought the bike from us under your name.

Regards,

Jon
CycleStreet

Top Bottom