Screamer = Broken wing-mirror = face-kicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
Hindsight is a fantastic thing, yes indeed. That quote above and the one about 'no moral' just a feeble attempt by the OP to appear apologetic for what was:

a) Poor awareness to traffic around him which lead:-

:ohmy: to him losing control of his bike thus showing he is not in control:-

c) to not being able to control his emotion, showing a complete lack of control or empathy to other road users. Thus leading him to getting a kick in.

Oh come off it Lee A and B are bollox. C is where he made a mistake. If you are going to dish out retribution then make sure you have an escape route and avoid the route in question for the next couple of weeks.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
User3143 said:
How can the car injure the OP when the car did not even touch him?? For an assualt to take place this must be some sort of pnysical contact. Of course there was a case of criminal damage here, the OP ripping the wing mirror off.

We've done this argument before even with cyclists. It's either the same rule or it isn't. Rather than someone being startled it is generally regarded as the fault of the car with those sort of pranks. I also have to say it's a bit silly saying control things. Where do you draw the line with cars deliberately trying to squeeze you off the road or the lamborghini gallardo that overtook me very closely at something like 80-100mph and blew me off the road?

The car is responsible for injuring another cyclist and they just left. I know it's fashionable not to say this any more such as the high profile cases where cyclists were killed and the courts ignored it, but they should stop and make sure they are all right. What if they'd hit their head on the kerb and died? I mean for crying out loud. The OP did was kicked by 3 people and they have injuries, that is assault and it much more serious than breaking someone's wing mirror.

(a) and (:ohmy: are debatable, (c) is the only valid point.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
How, if the OP is going along a dark road (as mentioned in the OP) then how did he not notice the car behind him? You telling me he did not see the head lights or notice his shadow on the road?

I am sure he did notice the lights. What he did not anticipate was that the car was going to pass him within a few cms whilst his mates screamed out of the window.

I have had done this to myself and jumped out of my skin so to say he had poor bike control skills is way off the mark.

OP
OP
garrilla

garrilla

User3143 said:
How, if the OP is going along a dark road (as mentioned in the OP) then how did he not notice the car behind him? You telling me he did not see the head lights or notice his shadow on the road?

I knew there were cars behind. And I was positioned accordingly, its 6pm it was dark, I'm well lit up. I'm a on a good stretch of road. Cars are passing and i'm part of fluid and dynamic flow of traffic.

What I didn't expect, and there is no way of predicting this, is that a car would speed past, taking a deliberate line into me and that the passengers would scream.

Even if they only wanted to startle me, it was dangerous to do so even if not to themselves. If that was their intent they were sucessful. May be you're not normal and you don't have the 'startle' reaction that is ordinary to human beings and other mammals. My refleces worked as expected.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well I hope you're all right and it doesn't take too long to heal up, all good for when the good weather returns.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
How is my world not squeaky clean? You need to look up the definition of 'mistake'

lol you amuse me...
I don't understand why you continue to argue about this, no one here is agreeing with the OP's actions against the car. But how can you call a close overtake so lads can scream at the cyclist a mistake?

Dictionary said:
mistake
noun
an action or judgment that is misguided

Gerry Attrick said:
What was the purpose of the OP?

To talk about what happened, perfectly natural given the circumstances.

garrilla said:
By the technology park

I know it. Used to use the road behind the technology park occasionally when there was roadworks on Edge Lane and I didn't fancy holding up all the traffic squeezed into one lane for a mile or so.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Gerry Attrick said:
What was the purpose of the OP?
I would sincerely hope as a salutory lesson to all of us to let these things wash over us. It's very difficult, and I suffer red mist as much as the next guy, but to take on a carload of self-gratification artists was ill advised. Damaging the car was a criminal act, and you took a beating for it. What would you have done if they had reported it to the police and you found yourself being interviewed for it?