Sealskinz Gloves - waterproof - ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by simongt, 20 Jan 2019.

1. simongt

simongt Über Member

Bought a pair of Sealskinz Ultra Grip cycling gloves about five years ago. Only used them when I felt it would rain during my commute, thus they were out about ten or twelve time a year; hardly heavy use. After a couple or so years, on a rainy ride home, they leaked. So I tested them at home and yes, they leaked. Contacted Sealskinz who asked me to send them back for them to test. This I duly did and received a replacement pair. When I later asked about the results of their test, I was informed that 'the results of the test were not available' - ! :whistle:
    I was wearing the replacement pair last Thursday, again it was raining :rain:and they also leaked - ! :eek: Tested them at home and yes, several leaks in both gloves. Again, this second pair of gloves only get used when I'm expecting rain. I've just e-mailed Sealskinz for their comments, but has anyone else experienced anything similar with Sealskinz products - ?

2. Drago

Drago Guru

I've 2 pairs, one about a decade old, one about 6 months old. Neither leak.

theloafer likes this.
  3. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Sealskinz are very hit and miss, if you are lucky they are great, though they do seem to have a high failure rate.

Though if it is really wet then nothing will keep you dry, the key is that whilst you may be wet they need to keep you warm.

Reiver and Soltydog like this.
  4. theloafer

theloafer Guru

had mine now 2 years :okay: no leaks

5. pawl

pawl Veteran

2 years without a leak . Batter see a urologist.

Just read the title of this thread it’s about leaking gloves Must pay more attention.

Dave7, Pat "5mph", theloafer and 2 others like this.
  6. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Hopeless company in my personal experience. Their default is to send another pair rather than address the issues and problems that a customer is doing them the courtesy of feeding back.

They seemed nonplussed when I said that I didn't want a third replacement pair and would buy a different brand which might not fail.

7. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Had a pair for years never had a problem. Even the pair of socks I have are holding up well. Outlaws use them for years (hard core walkers) and they’ve never had problems

8. Threevok

Threevok Four Sprung Pork Technik

No leaks with mine, plus I don't get any problems with the lining bunching up - as I did with the Endura ones I had

9. furball

furball Veteran

Never managed to get all ten fingers into my pair due do the lining twizzling up. Gave up on them before it rained so will never know if they were waterproof or not.

MichaelW2 likes this.
  10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Washing up gloves is what you want. Waterproof all the way.

Moodyman and C R like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    simongt

simongt Über Member

But despite the boast of a Merino lining, they do neither - ! :wacko:

12. Banjo

Banjo Fuelled with Jelly Babies

I bought a pair and found them horrible to put on with sweaty hands and they leaked after a few months.

Worst gloves I had for putting on were Endura .The lining would bunch up and go rock hard.

Threevok likes this.
  13. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

this is what I found with them, once my hands get a bit wet (iether sweat or doing something without the glove on) I can't get the things back on very easily.

they're ok for short rides or as a back up pair on a big day out. but overall 3/10 from me - good for snowball fights

mine also leak but they're not that cold even when wet through, but if i take them off I can't very easily get them back on

14. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Mine leaked, big-time. They were not cheap...…..or warm. Never again.

15. Lee_M

Lee_M Veteran

pair of gloves, waterproof after 12 months.

3 pairs of socks, still waterproof after about 5 years

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice