Season of Mists 2011 (Hilly 100km audax from Hebden Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
He'll be finishing any time now, he's not as fit as us Phil :whistle:

Maybe we can lap him when we do the SITTD if he is still missing then :whistle:

Svendo

Guru
I'm bumping this thread as today I was able to get out and do the Season Of Mists route, having been too ill on the day of the actual Audax.

I had a good time, not as sunny as yesterday, but only a couple of showers early on then mainly dry and even some sun!

I don't know the full route by heart, but turns out I know most of it as I got to Mereclough, switched to the map on the Edge and found after a bit of faffing I'd loaded the Spring In The Dales route by mistake! Carried on through Burnley (went past Burnley FC ground then turned left for the Fence road, bit further than the real route.) and carried on to Sabden, Clitheroe, Waddington and on to Newton. At Sabden realised I'd forgotten to restart the timer on the Garmin when I'd been faffing and turned it off and on againm so lost some miles from my record.
Carried on round Back Lane to Slaidburn, then I was having to guess the route on intuition and snatches of memory. Got to Grindleton then knew it was onto Downham. Not sure which way from there to Roughlee, so I took the slightly longer though it turns out wrong route through Twiston. That whole section is tough, all up and down, no massive climbs but tough on tired legs. I knew I was back on the right route on the descent into Roughlee which last year was a treacherous muddy river of a lane, and today was much friendlier.

Carried on and got through Nelson on half remembered landmarks and much squinting and scrolling at the Garmin, once on the way to Coldwell I was back on home turf as it were, and thought I was home and dry.

Until I noticed I'd a slow rear p______e just before Coldwell. I kept going but it was 'speeding up', so stopped in the milky setting sunlight and changed the tube just before the Thursden climb, which was a good move as I shook off enough fatigue to make the steep climb manageable rather than a grovel. Then a fabulous blast past Widdop Reservoir back to Hebden Bridge and then back to GF's house at Walsden.

I'm guessing about 70 miles in total in about 5 hours ride time, 6 and a bit clock time.

Svendo

Guru
Hi Colin, yes a good day. It's a great route and unlike last year in the torrential rain I could actually see and appreciate the spectacular views of Pendle and Bowland that the climbs reward you with.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I missed this one ... my fault.

Next year, although it'll depend on how close it is to the Etape Pennines event I'm doing.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just thought I'd let you know that Mrs Uncle Phil and I were there - only saw one of you lot though!

We had a good, if relaxed ride. That nick of Pendle is naughty, isn't it?

All went well until my chain snapped 2/3 of the way around. I'd felt it doing something funny and should have looked at it earlier before it finally went. As the damaged bit of the chain went through the derailleur cage, it re-shaped it in an interesting way, so that I wasn't sure it would work at all aftewards. Well, it did work, but not as well as it had. Anyway, we made it back.

Top Bottom