England : West Yorkshire Season of Mists, Mytholmroyd, Sun, 14th Oct, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
But I’ve made these :cry:
A43A6232-E516-4EFA-9B34-C8A0006BDAAF.jpeg

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just seen the news and it does not look good at all ! Its a real shame for the organisers. Got everything ready but I think I will do the " Look out of the window" test tomorrow morning to decide

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Last weekend I took a friend on a hilly local 55km or so which I used to tackle as a relatively gentle afternoon out... and it left me exhausted! I've lost more fitness and muscle than I realised, so I'm settled on switching to the softie 'Mellow Fruitfulness' instead.

I see there's going to be some weather, but I'll do it anyway. I've promised myself I'm going to get back to fitness, and besides I've paid! I may not be from Yorkshire, but I've lived here quite a while now and it rubs off on you.

Once you're warm, you don't notice the weather much...and I seem to remember a previous Season of Mists that was epically wet and windy. Or was that a Spring into the Dales? Anyway, I survived that!

@ColinJ , please do tag me in for other rides round your way!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Last weekend I took a friend on a hilly local 55km or so which I used to tackle as a relatively gentle afternoon out... and it left me exhausted! I've lost more fitness and muscle than I realised, so I'm settled on switching to the softie 'Mellow Fruitfulness' instead.

I see there's going to be some weather, but I'll do it anyway. I've promised myself I'm going to get back to fitness, and besides I've paid! I may not be from Yorkshire, but I've lived here quite a while now and it rubs off on you.

Once you're warm, you don't notice the weather much...and I seem to remember a previous Season of Mists that was epically wet and windy. Or was that a Spring into the Dales? Anyway, I survived that!

@ColinJ , please do tag me in for other rides round your way!
I’m still up for the ride just to support the effort of the organisers and challenge myself. It’s the 30 miles each way to and from the start that might be the issue :eek:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I bailed :shy: Weather is aweful :rain:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I decided to go for a short ride near home this morning, just 24 flat miles. My new Sealskinz overshoes are smaller than the previous version & would not fit over my shoes, so wet feet :sad:, my Altura waterproof gloves are no longer waterproof, so wet hands :sad: & my Lusso repel tights are no longer water repellent, so wet legs :sad: I guess I'm not as prepared for winter as I thought I was :laugh:

Top kudos for anyone that does the SOM audax today :okay:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, I did the Mellow Fruitfulness. For a short ish ride, it packs in a lot of climbing! I was right to opt for the shorter ride - I think I’d have managed SOM, but I’d have been grovelling the last 20km and I wouldn’t have enjoyed it.

Yes it was wet - at least during the first half. I think when it’s like that, you can forget about staying dry; you just have to stay warm. I trusted in my Buffalo top and it did the doing - my skin was mostly dry throughout. I didn’t stop at the first cafe control, in the interests of keeping warm, as I was wet. By the time I reached the second, the rain had petered out, and by the time I got back to base I had dried out. The sun came out and the autumn colour down the Hebden Water Valley was impressive.

The Moulton performed well, although there was a dodgy moment when, on a steep descent, my front tyre instantaneously deflated. The tyre was coming away from its bead and the tube was bulging through the growing split. The bulge got scalped by the brake pads as I braked down the hill. I fixed it with a spare tube and a bit of old tyre I’ve been carrying as a boot since my South Africa tour in 2013.

And between the two rides, there was a surprisingly good turnout.

I’m determined to be up to Spring into the Dales when it comes round!

Top Bottom