England : West Yorkshire Season of Mists, Mytholmroyd, Sun, 14th Oct, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Are we still hoping for a good ride on Sunday ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just watched the BBC weather forecast. There is a big storm system developing in the Atlantic, with south-westerlies bringing it towards the UK by the weekend. With luck, it will either miss the UK altogether or at least pass to the south of our route. If it happens to hit us, it could be very unpleasant indeed, in which case I would probably choose to stay in bed! I'll keep an eye on the forecasts throughout Friday/Saturday and make a decision on Saturday evening.

Here's a promise though - if 'rain stops play' I will organise a forum ride taking in most of the route, but starting and finishing in Todmorden, preferably the following Saturday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Assuming all goes well, I suggest making only the shortest possible stop at the Waddington control... (a) Because of the usual queue, (b) It is a bit early to be having a long stop (c) Doing the Waddington Fell climb on cold legs and having recently eaten isn't pleasant!

My suggestion is to press on and stop at the cafe in Slaidburn instead? We'd still have to climb immediately after the cafe stop, but that climb is quite a bit easier than Waddington Fell.

There is no stop at Coldwell this time. Instead, we are supposed to get receipts from Morrisons in Nelson. I might just buy a Mars Bar or a can of Coke.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Assuming all goes well, I suggest making only the shortest possible stop at the Waddington control... (a) Because of the usual queue, (b) It is a bit early to be having a long stop (c) Doing the Waddington Fell climb on cold legs and having recently eaten isn't pleasant!

My suggestion is to press on and stop at the cafe in Slaidburn instead? We'd still have to climb immediately after the cafe stop, but that climb is quite a bit easier than Waddington Fell.

There is no stop at Coldwell this time. Instead, we are supposed to get receipts from Morrisons in Nelson. I might just buy a Mars Bar or a can of Coke.
I will bow to your local knowledge, hope it’s a good ride

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will bow to your local knowledge, hope it’s a good ride
Let's take a vote on the day!

I remember seeing someone have a Full English at Country Kitchen in Waddington and then launch straight into the Fell climb afterwards ... he regretted it! :laugh:

It averages 6.25% for 4.4 km, with a steep ramp towards the summit.

Waddington Fell profile.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I jinxed it. There is now a 60% chance of rain!

The forecast has been improving - it is currently looking like 'cool, but dry'!
Aaaaargh - and now I have jinxed it - the Met Office forecast now says 80% chance of extended periods of heavy rain!! :banghead: The BBC forecast isn't quite as bad as that but doesn't look great.

Fingers crossed that it will improve again... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weather notice: The event has roughly a 50-50 record with respect to the weather. I have cooked on very warm editions, but was practically washed off my bike one stormy year (I gave up in a deluge and returned to event HQ and scenes of flooding)! This time of year is so changeable ... I will ride if the weather is good, okay, or even poor, but I am NOT going over those big hills in AWFUL conditions!
Sorry, chaps - I think at least the first half of tomorrow's ride WILL be in awful conditions so I am going to give the event a miss this time. For me this is a route to be enjoyed rather than endured.

I was out there with @Littgull on Thursday and we really enjoyed the rugged scenery but we managed to complete our ride and were back at the station under cover waiting for our train home when a storm blew in. I got soaked back in Todmorden in the few minutes it took me to get home from the station and I was glad not to have experienced that for 4 or 5 hours in the Forest of Bowland.

For those of you who DO brave the elements tomorrow - I hope that conditions are better than forecast and that you enjoy the ride anyway. Write up your reports and make me feel like a complete wimp for bottling out! :okay:

I am going to organise a ride on a very similar route but starting and finishing in Todmorden. In keeping with the spirit of the original route, it will take us up a stupidly steep climb with only a brief warm-up! I'll tag you all when I start the ride thread. I'll provisionally say next Saturday (20th October), but won't finalise the date until a couple of days before so I can check the forecasts. No point in avoiding one storm only to ride in another!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Sorry, chaps - I think at least the first half of tomorrow's ride WILL be in awful conditions so I am going to give the event a miss this time. For me this is a route to be enjoyed rather than endured.

I'll follow your lead & give it a swerve too :sad: I've got a 2hr+ drive each way & dont even fancy doing that in the forecast weather & tbh after a week of earlies I'm cream crackered, not even riding this aft. Too windy, too tired etc etc :whistle:

I'm working next Saturday, but if it's scheduled for another weekend let me know & I'll see if I can make it :okay:

Top Bottom