England : West Yorkshire Season of Mists, Mytholmroyd, Sun, 14th Oct, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I did the Mellow Fruitfulness. For a short ish ride, it packs in a lot of climbing! I was right to opt for the shorter ride - I think I’d have managed SOM, but I’d have been grovelling the last 20km and I wouldn’t have enjoyed it.

Yes it was wet - at least during the first half. I think when it’s like that, you can forget about staying dry; you just have to stay warm. I trusted in my Buffalo top and it did the doing - my skin was mostly dry throughout. I didn’t stop at the first cafe control, in the interests of keeping warm, as I was wet. By the time I reached the second, the rain had petered out, and by the time I got back to base I had dried out. The sun came out and the autumn colour down the Hebden Water Valley was impressive.

The Moulton performed well, although there was a dodgy moment when, on a steep descent, my front tyre instantaneously deflated. The tyre was coming away from its bead and the tube was bulging through the growing split. The bulge got scalped by the brake pads as I braked down the hill. I fixed it with a spare tube and a bit of old tyre I’ve been carrying as a boot since my South Africa tour in 2013.

And between the two rides, there was a surprisingly good turnout.

I’m determined to be up to Spring into the Dales when it comes round!
Well done!

I would have been setting off at about 08:20 from here and it rained solidly for about 5 hours before it finally dried up. Yes, it was nice when the sun finally came out.

I nearly always do Spring Into The Dales along with a few other CycleChat riders. Over the years I have had better luck with the weather on that one, though there is often a nasty headwind on the long climb back out of Keighley.

A lucky escape with that tyre! :eek:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
A lucky escape with that tyre! :eek:

It was a similar problem that scotched my attempt at Dave's Dales Tour a few years back. There's only one tyre available in that 369 size - the Schwalbe Kojak - and it's not the toughest.

Top Bottom