Seatpost with layback.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've decided to experiment with my position on the bike. When riding I get a few little niggles which I think is down to too much weight on my hands and they are spoiling my enjoyment. I've put up with them but have decided enough is enough.
My saddle is a B17 which doesn't have much fore and aft adjustment (a common issue apparently) and was wondering which seatpost to try and how much layback do I need.
Anyone any personal knowledge? I'd like a titanium one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe ask Spa, they sell Ti seatposts (one with 10mm layback) and are likely familiar with Brooks saddles

Alan O

Über Member
I've had a B17 and I now have a Cambium on my most-used bike, and they indeed don't have much fore-aft adjustment. How much adjustment you need for yourself is something I can't really offer an opinion on. But I really see no reason whatsoever to go for a titanium seat post over an aluminium one, unless your biggest problem is that your wallet is too heavy.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had a B17 and I now have a Cambium on my most-used bike, and they indeed don't have much fore-aft adjustment. How much adjustment you need for yourself is something I can't really offer an opinion on. But I really see no reason whatsoever to go for a titanium seat post over an aluminium one, unless your biggest problem is that your wallet is too heavy.
Aesthetic...my Ti is having a Ti post ;)

However if experimenting with fit, spending £100+ might be excessive until you've got it right

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Thanks @vickster a good shout, might give them a call.

@Alan O like Vickster, I want titanium for my titanium bike.

Don't worry either of you, I won't be splashing the cash unless I'm sure I know what to get. I'm experimenting with various posts and saddles from my spares box at the moment.

nickAKA

Über Member
I was getting pins & needles in my hands a lot through resting on the bars so I put a 20mm shorter stem on, pretty much cured it straight away... but having said all that I've got my seat in the furthest back position possible (and it's a slight layback post) as it's the most forgiving on my knees with long-ish thigh bones...

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

I was getting pins & needles in my hands a lot through resting on the bars so I put a 20mm shorter stem on, pretty much cured it straight away... but having said all that I've got my seat in the furthest back position possible (and it's a slight layback post) as it's the most forgiving on my knees with long-ish thigh bones...
I need to get my saddle further back first. I've put on a different saddle and post, which has moved me back. I've only been out a couple of times but it seems to have made a difference. Once I'm convinced it's worked I'll hopefully be able to have an educated guess at how much layback I need for the Brooks.

Top Bottom