Second gear!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh FFS! A reporter on radio 4 has just described driving on the other carriageway past a huge tailback on a motorway, and the fact that people were driving, unaware, to join that queue, as 'heartbreaking'. Heartbreaking!?!? No love, losing someone you love is heartbreaking. Being dumped, is heartbreaking. Joining a motorway tailback in a blizzard is a fact of f***ing life!

Also, apparently, only one snowplough was seen, and the driver of that was being abused by motorists.

I give up.

I'm not sure what I give up, but I give up anyway.

Downward

Guru
You would have thought that spending £30k or whatever on a BMW or Jag you would spend £400 on a set of Winter Tyres for when it's under 7 Degrees which lets face it for the last god knows how many years it has been.

And it's snowed now every year since 2005 so what's the issue of "this weather isn't normal" ?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Which bit of "Don't travel, unless it's completely necessary" don't people get.

The bits I've put in bold above
smile.gif

Which bit of "Don't travel unless completely necessary" don't people get.

But I need milk

and a newspaper

and go to some friends, not seen them in a while, it is christmas afterall and it sure is nice to go out in the snow... in the car, warmer

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 1270918"]Aside from the skating X5 some 4x4 drivers, overcome by cockiness, are stupidly careering up the road on the wrong side past the line of struggling traffic right outside my window.[/quote]
The high powered AWD motorsport homologation spec crowd seem to be the worst. Think they're some rally star or something in their Evos, WRXs etc..

The high powered AWD motorsport homologation spec crowd seem to be the worst. Think they're some rally star or something in their Evos, WRXs etc..

Difference is, these cars tend to deal with it better than fake 4x4 that don't actually have AWD drive :tongue:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm starting to get very annoyed with all the people in traffic jams ringing the radio moaning about not seeing any gritters. If you are in a traffic jam then how the hell is the gritter going to get through! :angry:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree with you MisterPaul. Second gear, low, low revs, and leaving plenty of space is all you need, (whether in a foot of fresh snow or a hard packed ice sheet). It's not rocket science.
But the traffic around my house was gridlocked today with wheelspinning morons. No grip? Get your foot down! More revs!

I'm not sure whether it's their fault to be honest, I do get angry watching them skate around but if they don't know, they don't know. I'm kind of lucky that I got skid pan training as part of my job, and I did 3 years in harsh German winters in my early driving career.

But do we need instruction as part of our driving test? How would we do that? Would people actually take notice?

With the slow speeds of the cars passing me today, I did notice something... the amount of people thinking that phone use is justified. No seatbelts.... fog lights on, chatting on the phone. Erm.... it's icy, peanut. Behave!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm starting to get very annoyed with all the people in traffic jams ringing the radio moaning about not seeing any gritters. If you are in a traffic jam then how the hell is the gritter going to get through! :angry:

Obviously, they should be dropped in by helicopter....

Also, people don't seem to understand the relative merits of gritting and ploughing. It's no use just throwing grit down on snow once it's lying, you have to scrape the snow away, then grit to melt the residue and prevent icing (assuming it doesn't then get so cold that grit doesn't work anyway).

ThePainInSpain

Why everyone thinks a 4x4 would be any better in the conditions you describe baffles me. I drive a 4x4 and it's useless in muddy condition of road (for mud read snow in your case).

Why?

Simples

You still only have road tyres fitted which have no more grip than a 4x2 saloon car. It's just that you have no grip in 4 tyres instead of 2.

You are only better off if you have proper off road tyres fitted.

My reason for driving a 4x4 is for the ground clearance.

Top Bottom