Second gear!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The number of people who need a push or help how to get going again seems to have grown a lot in the last few years.... they have no idea and don't even try to help themselves by finding out how best to get moving. You only need one of these idiots on a slight slope or in the gutter to bring everyone to a standstill and even in light snow which wouldn't normally be a problem- then you get the backed-up queue of thoughtless people who just sit there waiting for something to magically happen... argh!!!

They are so pathetically grateful when you come along, sort the nutter out- everyone waves, grins like an imbecile and pootles off slipping and spinning to the next queue.

Breathe.... and that's just me walking along from home to the shop or to work.

dodgy

This is what we're up against out there. And yes, that's a RWD BMW that the driver is trying to kick snow away from the front wheels :tongue:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNin7QJEOZE[/media]

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
This is what we're up against out there. And yes, that's a RWD BMW that the driver is trying to kick snow away from the front wheels :tongue:

Ah, Dodgy, could you not have gone out and given her a push/advice?
smile.gif

dodgy

Ah, Dodgy, could you not have gone out and given her a push/advice?
smile.gif

Yes, my advice would have been to not drive.

There's a series of comments on youtube on that story, the common thread being "oh you're so mean, why couldn't you help her". Eh? So what happens around the next corner? Does this woman need a network of concerned residents who watch out of their windows waiting for her next mishap? :laugh:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, my advice would have been to not drive.

There's a series of comments on youtube on that story, the common thread being "oh you're so mean, why couldn't you help her". Eh? So what happens around the next corner? Does this woman need a network of concerned residents who watch out of their windows waiting for her next mishap? :laugh:

Fair enough Dodgemeister... depends on your knowledge of/realtionship to the slightly dodgy driver concerned. [smug] we had gridlock outside our house yesterday (on a busy road) following large amounts of snow in a short space of time... we went out and pushed/dug/offered tea etc... people took about 2 hours to move 200 yards! It was mad!

dodgy

I was in the pub on Friday night when the snow started coming down, we had a steady trail of motorists coming into the pub after being stranded on the fairly moderate hill outside. We went out to help some of them abandon their cars into the car park it was that bad. So I'm not aversed to helping people in need, these were people caught off guard.

The woman in the video is venturing out into snow and doesn't appear to either know how to drive on snow, or be in posession of any common sense. That's a pretty bad combination in bad weather.

If I'd have been watching out of the window, I might have gone out, but only to convince her to park her car and walk home.

dodgy

On the same theme, here is some BMW related shenanigans!

pay0kuh0.jpg

And

47600_1669605334225_1060101188_1812050_6082123_n.jpg

I'm sure there must be some intelligent BMW drivers around ;)

GrasB

Veteran
I spun my Fourtrak on a snowy lane this morning.:blush: I just thought I'd see what happened if I planted the throttle ... what happens is that it flicks the tail out with extraordinary speed and buries its nose in the hedge.:biggrin: Shan't be doing that again, except later the same day on a deserted lorry park.
It's great to play sometimes & teaches you an awful lot about dynamics. I did something similar with the Alfa last year, I was on a I was on a car handling course & the instructor decided we should try racing starts at one end of a snow covered runway! Now 4 (all RWD) of the 6 cars did slow donuts, the FWD car slithered away in a uncontrolled direction but my Alfa had a rather difference response to a full racing launch in 2rd. It sort of shimmied about as it scrabbled forwards in a more or less straight line, then suddenly with a loud chirp took off on an arrow straight trajectory in full psycho' mode like it was on bone dry tarmac.

I'm sure there must be some intelligent BMW drivers around ;)

Steer or traction?... it's a tough one

dodgy

Alternatively, you can't steer until you're moving. Conventional wisdom says that a RWD car in snow needs all the help it can get to just get moving. At least when it's moving it's at the same level as a FWD without chains or snow socks.

One problem with socks/chains on the front of a rear wheel drive is that the back end will overtake you at the slightest opportunity.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Presumably the sensible things to do would be to have two pairs.... What do they cost? A fraction of the price of the car I assume.

Still, if you really can only afford one pair, why not one on one rear wheel, and one on one front? Now, same side, or diagonal....?

Top Bottom