Second gear!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or get on a bike?

Arch

Married to Night Train
You know what's making me furious? Hearing people on the news, furious that as they sat in tailbacks on motorways, there 'wasn't any information'. You're in a car, on a motorway, in a blizzard and traffic is stopped. What info do you need? It's fairly obvious that the conditions will have caused the hold up - probably because someone ahead has crashed. You expect the emergency services to come round and leaflet you?

Have a bit of common sense, and maybe direct a bit of the energy you put into righteous indignation into doing something useful with a shovel, and thinking a bit more about being prepared.

Breakfast News had a little piece on how to drive yesterday. In a couple of minutes, an expert explained how to cope with understeer and oversteer, and how to pull away on a slope. Perhaps they need to repeat that piece at prime time all over the winter.

It ought to be part of the test, but of course most people go through their entire learning to driver process without encountering a flake of snow. When I was learning, they cancelled lessons when it snowed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Judging by what I've seen, they do teach you how to drive in snow :-
1. Use wipers to clear windscreen. Scraping is dangerous and unnecessary.
2. Into gear and CLOG IT!!!
3. If sliding, CLOG IT SOME MORE!!!!!!
4. Braking gently and leaving large gaps are signs of weakness, so don't even think about it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Which bit of "Don't travel unless completely necessary" don't people get.

I know what you mean, but I think people all have different ideas of 'necessary'.

Getting to work? Some might be worried about being disciplined if they don't at least try. Some might think they really have to work. Some might not get paid if they don't, and that might be a big loss to them. Some staff really are important - medics and so on.

Then there's getting to see family and loved ones. If you've only got few days off, and want to see family at this time of year, it's tempting to try it. Last year we were on tenterhooks in case my sister and her brood coudn't get up to Leicester from Winchester for Christmas. We'd have been awfully disappointed if it had all gone wrong. We might have been able to reschedule something for New Year, but suppose it snowed again? I only get to see my nephews every 3 months or so, and had been looking forward to it since September. My head would say 'don't risk it', but my heart wouldn't be so sensible. As it happened, the problem didn't arise - but now I'm fretting about it all over again for next week.

I reckon just going shopping is a pretty daft, or heading out to party with mates.

I think there is also something of an assumption that it's not as bad as 'they' say. I think there are too many warnings about severe weather these days, so that a 'cry wolf' attitude arises when it's really important.

ASC1951

Guru
I think there are too many warnings about severe weather these days, so that a 'cry wolf' attitude arises when it's really important.
Quite. You regularly hear Our Intrepid Reporter (4x4 just out of camera shot) warning of "heavy falls of snow, as much as 5cm in places.." To me a heavy fall of snow is a foot or more - there have been plenty of those north of the border, but Our Intrepid Reporter doesn't usually make it that far.

[QUOTE 1270918"]

The snow isn't the problem, it's people's inability to drive properly.

And don't think a 4x4 can counter your inability.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, MrP. Excellent summary of the idiots round these parts and we've hardly had any white stuff to speak of compared with the rest of the country!

Or some snow chains

Not required, certainly down here. Maybe up north where decent snowfalls occur AND stays on the ground for days.

A few weeks ago, I followed an idiot who was driving so slowly, approx 20mph, well over to the left and wondered why as we had had only a light dusting. When he turned right I could see he had chains on. Totally unnecessary and illegal under the conditions.

People should have winter tyres if they want to drive safely in this weather. And probably take instruction.

Noodley

[QUOTE 1270918"]
It's easy.
[/quote]

This public service announcement was brought to you by User in association with linfy...

Top Bottom