Second gear!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Presumably the sensible things to do would be to have two pairs.... What do they cost? A fraction of the price of the car I assume.

Still, if you really can only afford one pair, why not one on one rear wheel, and one on one front? Now, same side, or diagonal....?

Two pairs would be good, still costly though as socks are about £70-£80 so not worth the money unlike the 1000W amp and bass bin in the boot.

Diagonal fitting could be deadly dangerous. One front wheel gripping when braking would pull on the steering making the car lerch to one side. Only one drive wheel gripping would achieve nothing as the other whel would spin, unless the car has a limited slip differential. On braking it would also cause the car the spin.

I spun my Fourtrak on a snowy lane this morning.:blush: I just thought I'd see what happened if I planted the throttle ... what happens is that it flicks the tail out with extraordinary speed and buries its nose in the hedge.:biggrin: Shan't be doing that again, except later the same day on a deserted lorry park.

I should point out taht it was in two wheel drive mode when it I did this, making it effectively a rear wheel drive car with a very light back end.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Posted this in another thread, but I'm getting sick of people's lack of understanding what the conditions are like.

I was in the car in central Manchester last night, and some of the main roads were icy. Waiting in traffic, coming home on the A57 near the M60, the outer lane was icy - you could feel the wheels slip as you edged forward in the queue. Got onto the motorway, and took it easy, and came off at the next junction. Waiting at the roundabout give way, me on inside, Polo on outside.

I pull away slightly before the Polo, but he then guns it....... next second, his car is sliding towards me completely understeering as we go round the island side by side. I ease off and brake as he then slides past...........

As I follow, he flashes indicators as 'sorry' then at the next junction put's his hand up as an apology.

Totally stupid driving.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This road goes downhill quite sharply just before the last dozen or so houses. So, very sensibly, the people from those houses park on the flat bit. Also very sensibly they park their cars all along the length of the road, not blocking anyone's driveway. The man who has left his car nearest my driveway has told me which house he lives in, just in case it is in the way.

So far, so good. Just watched someone get in their car and drive off. They were parked facing the wrong way up the street and in part of the turning triangle bit. He did not bother to clear all the windows and the roof of the five inches of snow. Nothing unusual about that I can almost hear you say. Ah....yes.... but he is a driving instructor, complete with the big sign on top of his car.

siadwell

Guru
Came across this little scene this morning as I was walking my girls to the in-laws.

Image021.jpg

Presumably, the Honda had gone out of control and the driver had managed to steer it between the parked car and the wall.

Image023.jpg

The guy was just getting his stuff out of the car as we arrived, so had we been a couple of minutes earlier, we'd have been walking down that bit of pavement.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Diagonal fitting could be deadly dangerous. One front wheel gripping when braking would pull on the steering making the car lerch to one side. Only one drive wheel gripping would achieve nothing as the other whel would spin, unless the car has a limited slip differential. On braking it would also cause the car the spin.

Yeah, I assumed it would be a bad idea...

Top Bottom