Secondhand Raleigh Junior Rigid MTB: lemon or worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
The old Raleigh MTB that I started on is now just about finished and rideable, it looks like a similar style of frame, although it’s got 26” wheels, and it’s in metallic green paint, I’ve fitted Vittoria Adventure Tech 26x 1.9” tyres, a Spa triple chain set, new shimano brake and gear cables, new Tektro cantilever brakes, a Tourney rear derailleur, sun race 14x28 freewheel, new chain and a new cassette square taper BB, all of which replace originals that were scrap and totally worn out, as well as SKS Mudguards, a rack and panniers, so it weighs a ton compared to my others, but for around £110 I’ve got a usable hybrid utility bike, that as it stood originally was scrap as so much was beyond saving, but so far it’s gone on a trip to the shops, a run to the chemists and to the polling station and it works well, and I’m not afraid to lock it to something while in the shops, so I think it’s a winner all round, and I’ve got another useable bike

Sounds good :okay:

IIRC the adult version of the Max did come in metallic green... I went for the Spa touring triple as well, but then I did go a bit bonkers on the drive train generally, as I cold set the rear triangle and fitted a new wheelset to take things up to 8 speed with an Altus derailleur and 11-32 cassette. :blush:

No kidding about the bike weighing a ton, though :laugh:

DRM

Guru
Sounds good :okay:

IIRC the adult version of the Max did come in metallic green... I went for the Spa touring triple as well, but then I did go a bit bonkers on the drive train generally, as I cold set the rear triangle and fitted a new wheelset to take things up to 8 speed with an Altus derailleur and 11-32 cassette. :blush:

No kidding about the bike weighing a ton, though :laugh:
It may well be a Max, I’ve no idea what it was but I did try to salvage as much as I could, so kept it as a six speed, but at least it avoided the scrapman, so that’s 2 bikes saved between the two of us, :okay:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It may well be a Max, I’ve no idea what it was but I did try to salvage as much as I could, so kept it as a six speed, but at least it avoided the scrapman, so that’s 2 bikes saved between the two of us, :okay:

Indeed... I acquired mine at the local tip. :angel:

The mods came about because the standard gearing was much too low for flat fen roads, and most of the drive train was totally fubared anyway. Went from a 42-32-24 at the front to a 48-38-28

Can't deny it's good for working at my fitness. :blush:

DRM

Guru

Here’s a picture of the Raleigh Max now it’s been resurrected and is back in use

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Mmmmm, that looks fabby @DRM :wub:

Might not be a Max, you know, it looks very similar to the Ascender that a friend of mine has. Either way, that looks like a really nice bike. Even better, it's near enough got the same drive train as mine! Good choice! :okay:

Reactions: DRM

12boy

Guru
I found a Bianchi Nyala frame at the balefill and tossed the heavy steel triple and went with a nice 40 tooth Al crankarm and chain ring. Also threw on a leather saddle and some v-brakes only to put everything on another bike while I treat the rust and paint it. It is heavy but a plush ride with 2 inch tires. Kinda like a juggernaut. I will post a pic when done.

DRM

Guru
Mmmmm, that looks fabby @DRM :wub:

Might not be a Max, you know, it looks very similar to the Ascender that a friend of mine has. Either way, that looks like a really nice bike. Even better, it's near enough got the same drive train as mine! Good choice! :okay:
I have absolutely no clue which model it is, it's the same colour as some Max models, yet has some features of the Ascender, but not all, and it's a different colour too, perhaps it's a Raleigh Enigma ! there were no model stickers on the frame, just Raleigh on the down tube, with a load of the free stickers from mountain biking UK mag stuck all over it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Might not be a Max, you know, it looks very similar to the Ascender that a friend of mine has. Either way, that looks like a really nice bike.

This one definitely is an Ascender, a '94 Reflex, 15 speed model with the standard welded 18-23 hi-tensile 70 degree parallel geometry frame that was common to many Raleigh MTB's. Compare to the above and make your own mind up.

My understanding is that all the MAX models used slightly oversized tubes. Fast forward to 1999 and a Raleigh Firefly with a cro-moly frame and oversized tubes. This isn't technically a MAX of course, but according to @Drago it shares the MAX frame.

I don't know if it's an optical illusion, but possibly the Firefly frame is about a degree less slack than the Ascender?. I don't have a geometry chart for it unfortunately.

battered

Guru
This one definitely is an Ascender, a '94 Reflex, 15 speed model with the standard welded 18-23 hi-tensile 70 degree parallel geometry frame that was common to many Raleigh MTB's. Compare to the above and make your own mind up.
View attachment 590138

My understanding is that all the MAX models used slightly oversized tubes. Fast forward to 1999 and a Raleigh Firefly with a cro-moly frame and oversized tubes. This isn't technically a MAX of course, but according to @Drago it shares the MAX frame.
View attachment 590139

I don't know if it's an optical illusion, but possibly the Firefly frame is about a degree less slack than the Ascender?. I don't have a geometry chart for it unfortunately.
The headset looks steeper on yours, and it doesn't look parallel, so you might be right.

DRM

Guru
View attachment 590138

View attachment 590139

The Firefly frame looks very much like my mystery machine, identical I'd say except for the colour

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Here is my Bianca Nyala balefill bike...red primer paint with a clearcoat. It has been curing in my minivan in 60C heat. Looks kinda Mad Max to me but I like it. View attachment 592424

I notice it's lugged! That makes it a rarity even in the MTB boom days, because most were welded even though lugged road frames were still the norm. Given the name, it's probably a stupid question, but is it made from Columbus tubing by any chance? :laugh:

The Firefly frame looks very much like my mystery machine, identical I'd say except for the colour

I think once the MAX models had displaced the narrow tubed frames after about 1995 or so, Raleigh standardised it's mass market MTB frame on the oversize tube MAX design, even if they called it something else. I would guess they used the same 4130 tubing as the later welded Pioneers. That red Firefly is one of the very final Nottingham built frames ever made before they shut down their in-house fabrication facility and bought in far east frames to rebadge as Raleighs. It was acquired as a cheapo parts donor but the condition and lateness of the build saved it. The paint really glows on a sunny day, the photo doesn't do it justice and it's virtually as good as new even at 22 years old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom