Secure bike parking in Manchester?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I might wangle a day off next week and fancy popping into town for a few hours if there is somewhere to lock the bike up so I can forget about it and not worry.
The train line is still closed from here to there and I'd prefer to ride than catch the bus.

Can any of the M/C commuters recommend anything please? I'm happy to pay for peace of mind + security.

I think other cities might have "lockers" but don't know about this city. Thanks.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
GBH will look after your bike for you for a small fee.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
drop it off at a lbs with the pretense of something squeaking. harry hall is near the centre or just lock it up to the many many bike stands in the centre. the ones outside yates wine lodge near china town is best avoided. seen a few bike skeletons there still locked up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
bromptonfb said:
drop it off at a lbs with the pretense of something squeaking. harry hall is near the centre

And get robbed for a load of non essential work......:becool:

GBH sounds the best bet.

There is bugger all safe parking, unless you've got a 'big' lock....

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
GBH it is then. Ta very much.

Do other cities have "lockers" or am I imagining that I've heard of such things?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are lockers, but most have to be 'hired' on a monthly/yearly basis e.g 'bikeaway' - there are apparently some at Picadilly somewhere ? There are 4 lockers at one of our sites, and are used by 'regulars' (but hired from 'bikeaway') but most folk use the sheffield stands

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Granby row! Right next to the university entrance. Very close the train station. People coming and going 9-5 during the week and people from the uni always outside smoking so very little chance of theft (well unless its someone from the uni, but any bolt cutters pulled out will immediatelly cause alarm since people are always there as a witness), it should be safe there. I know at least 3 people who leave bikes there all day mon to fri.

I found this when I googled, secure bike parking in Manchester, looks like there's quite a few dodgy examples but it end with the Picadilly lockers as a good example.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
That's a good find HlaB, there's some beauties in there :biggrin:

I'll have to find Granby Row but will probably use GBH but thanks Robert, I can treat myself to some new track nuts while there.

It has made me realise how I take parking my bike at the far end of the workshop for granted.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just for your reference Granby row is just a road about 2 mins away from Piccadilly Station, its basically a row of railings to lock bikes too, but its right next to the main entrance to the university. There is a massive red rope structure thing when you get there, cant miss it. Will be like 20-30 bikes locked up there

GBH is probly the best bet, though. Just make sure if they are hanging it outside on the racks they/you lock it to them, in the stolen bikes section there was a thread about someone just lifting a bike from the rack and stealing it. Shows the balls some theives have!

Top Bottom