Securing D-lock to panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
iirc my perishables and soft goods remained intact, as the lock doesn't bounce.

I use Ortlieb front roller classic panniers on the rear rack & havent had an issue myself.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can't you use the frame mounting kit that came with the d-lock instead of mounting it to the rack?
I used the frame mount for my big, heavy d-lock just once because after that ride I was fairly sure that it would fail sooner rather than later and comments from lots of reviewers backed that up.

I am going to take the lock with me on a 5 day mini-tour and was thinking that I could just bungee it to the top of my rack. I would use as many cords as were needed to secure it properly. (Plan B was to fabricate a heavy-duty clamp to attach it to the rack.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am going to take the lock with me on a 5 day mini-tour and was thinking that I could just bungee it to the top of my rack. I would use as many cords as were needed to secure it properly. (Plan B was to fabricate a heavy-duty clamp to attach it to the rack.)
Why not try the toe strap/luggage strap ideas?

On my mountain bike, I use a seatpost carrier rack for day trips, and to carry a lock, I use a couple of cable ties, left permanently fitted to the carrier.
DSCF4690.JPG

Then fit the heavy bit of the lock under the cable ties.

DSCF4691.JPG

and you can strap down the other end of the lock with a velcro strap or toe clip strap.

It also works with a smaller lock (which is what I normally take with me).

DSCF4692.JPG

Tynan

Veteran
touring? if it's point to point, or even point to point to point, I'd get a lock for each location

you can use a dirty great chain and padlock then rather than an overpriced bike lock

Top Bottom