Seen on the ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

Pete

Talking of albatrosses, I do recollect, on the Santander ferry, hearing a fellow holidaymaker excitedly exclaiming "just look at the albatrosses over there - not something we see too often in these parts". Following his gaze, I was certainly impressed at the splendid gannets that were wheeling around the ship. People may well have no conception as to how big a gannet is, until they see one really close!

As for the golfing allusion (I'm sure someone must've dragged the mouse over my text ;)), well I do know what 'eagle' and 'albatross' mean, thanks! Even if I've never played the game myself!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
On Saturday, Mr Hippo met Mr Rhino Beetle (Xylotrupes gideon)

bug02.jpg

bug01.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
Great Beetle Mr Hippo. A shame you didn't have a 50p to hand to give us a better idea of scale ;).

Christopher

Über Member
He should have used his finger in the pic for scale, longers. Can't see what could go wrong there.
Anyhoo I've seen lots of wildlife when out on rides: many hares, grey squirrels, badgers, foxes, weasels and stoats, rats and (I think) mink.
and in the U.S: many deer, one dead stinking stag (on the side of Interstate 580 near San Francisco and yes I was riding, legally, on the shoulder), a big black pine snake I had to bunny-hop over - dumb thing was across the path - and wild turkeys...

longers

Legendary Member
Seen on the ride tonight? My Dog.

I put one of those Aldi leg/arm bands round her neck (just, there was about 4mm of velcro touching) switched it to constant light and away we went. Twas excellent :biggrin:. We did 11 miles along the TPT and I always knew where she was in the dark. She doesn't faff about as much in the dark as there's less distractions for her (or she's scared of it!).

Once coming through Richmond Park at night, I was taking a bit of a risk and going flat out on the aerobars with nothing but two "be seen" cateye LED lights.

I spotted what I thought to be a cyclist in the distance ahead, and as I kept focussed I seemed to be catching them very fast indeed. I moved back onto the bars and almost exclaimed out loud when sed cyclists accelerated incredibly fast off into the bushes!!

When I got closer (and was going much slower by this point) I was trying to work out how on earth four cyclists were batting around in the bushes before a loud whislte from the path ahead, accompanied by four dogs with bike lights attached to their collars came running out of the bushes!

snorri

Legendary Member
Spotted a recycling box lid on the roadside verge. Just what I needed to replace mine which cracked recently. Managed to tie it on to my luggage rack using two supermarket carrier bags;):blush:

OP
OP
P

Pete

Like BJB above, not on the ride but out for a walk on the Downs last Sunday (11th Nov), passed fields with plenty of poppies in full bloom. A poignant sight, considering the date! Don't recall having seen them so late in the year, before. I was fingering the paper-and-plastic one in my pocket (I usually buy one, then never get around to wearing it), wondering whether I should pick a real poppy and wear it for the occasion (it was just coming up to 11am too!). But I didn't.

walker

Pete said:
Like BJB above, not on the ride but out for a walk on the Downs last Sunday (11th Nov), passed fields with plenty of poppies in full bloom. A poignant sight, considering the date! Don't recall having seen them so late in the year, before. I was fingering the paper-and-plastic one in my pocket (I usually buy one, then never get around to wearing it), wondering whether I should pick a real poppy and wear it for the occasion (it was just coming up to 11am too!). But I didn't.

but then two days too late

Top Bottom