Seen on the ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
seen on the ride today

I saw something I haven't seen for a long, long time.

A Jazz mag in a hedgerow!

longers said:
I saw something I haven't seen for a long, long time.

A Jazz mag in a hedgerow!

Why didn't you throw it in the bin after you'd finished with it? ;)

Brock

I saw a slightly lost looking fox belting around in circles being harassed by a couple of squawking crows the other morning. Not seen that before.

Bigtallfatbloke

yesterday just outside Ongar I saw what i thought at first was a dead cow in a ditch next to the road, then i realized it had antlers...it was a stag, such a shame. Lord please forgive motorists for they know not what they do.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Dayvo said:
I'm a bit spoilt here: get to work at about 5.30 and there are deer, foxes, hares, pheasants, occasional eagles around, on, or above the golf course, which is about five miles from the city centre.

Occasional eagles and birdies. What about albatrosses, whatever next on a golf course?;):smile::biggrin::biggrin::blush:

It didn't really take me three months to think of this, only just read the beginning of a revitalised thread. OOOPs

Brock

Bigtallfatbloke said:
yesterday just outside Ongar I saw what i thought at first was a dead cow in a ditch next to the road, then i realized it had antlers...it was a stag, such a shame. Lord please forgive motorists for they know not what they do.

Wow.. Roadkill jackpot! And you left it there?

OP
OP
P

Pete

Dunno about eagles in Sussex* and albatrosses are strictly 'southern hemisphere and Monty Python only', but as for birdies - met another cyclist (wheeling his bike) who insisted we look up directly overhead, at some buzzards wheeling on a thermal, wanted to know 'what are they doing up there?' Explained that buzzards are getting quite common round these parts now, they're just looking for their lunch. And then my wife came up with the classic '...and they're particularly fond of stranded cyclists'. Luckily a.n.other cyclist had a funny-bone...

After that I'm afraid I forgot to offer him bike assistance. Nor do I know whether Mr. and Ms. Buzzard got their lunch...

*(Sussex guys can't play golf for toffee anyway)

gbb

Legendary Member
Going back to the earlier mentions of hares...
Not many to be seen round here, i saw my first one in years late last summer.

As a kid on a Nottinghamshire unused aerodrome in the 1970s, the wildlife was spectacular...there were hares, but not that many. I guess they are, maybe always were, reasonably scarce.

Todays sight.....my wifes almost new mobile phone skittering up the road :becool::ohmy::ohmy:
I thought i'd zipped it in the front pocket of my coat...apparently not ;):becool:!:smile:

bonj2

I very nearly ran over a grey squirrel in the park the other week, I braked, but wouldn't have stopped in time, but fortunately it decided to turn back inches from my front wheel - glad it survived 'cos they're nice animals.
Always see lots of dogs being walked when riding through the park, wouldn't have thought they count though?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Pete said:
Dunno about eagles in Sussex* and albatrosses are strictly 'southern hemisphere and Monty Python only', but as for birdies - *(Sussex guys can't play golf for toffee anyway)

;) Albatrosses "on a golf course" I was told, was a three under par. So albatrosses can be "found" (admittedly very rarely) on golf courses in the Northern Hemisphere.:smile::becool:

"Eagles" is the term for two "under par" on a golf course, so they can be found in Sussex. :becool:

You could catch out your bird-watching companions with this question:ohmy:.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There is, or was during the summer, an albatross living in Britain. Not very accessible though, as it was on Sula Sgeir (50 miles NW of Cape Wrath).
However albatrosses are not unusual in the northern hemisphere - there are lots in the north Pacific. Some of them may even have been found on a golf course if they have one at Midway air base.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
andrew_s said:
There is, or was during the summer, an albatross living in Britain. Not very accessible though, as it was on Sula Sgeir (50 miles NW of Cape Wrath).However albatrosses are not unusual in the northern hemisphere - there are lots in the north Pacific. Some of them may even have been found on a golf course if they have one at Midway air base.

What was it doing there? Which species?
My list of Accidentals and Rare Vagrants says that Yellow- Nosed has been recorded in the UK whilst Wandering has been seen in the North Sea, Portugal and Scicily

I've just found that Black-Browed sometimes "summer" at gannetries whilst Shy are also visitors "up here".

Top Bottom