Seen on the ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Saw a mole crossing the road once out on a run. We picked him up and stuck him on the verge at the side of the road he seemed to be heading towards.

See lots of dead badgers around here, but I believe in the tales of farmers poisoning them and then throwing them in the road to make it look like they've been hit by cars, as you usually see 3 or 4 in a few hundred yards and mostly undamaged, which is rather unlikely. Have seen plenty of live ones, too, but only when in the car, not on the bike.

There's a story in my local paper of a family of Muscovy ducks crossing the road in town and some lads squished the lot in their car on purpose! :smile:

ducksjo6.jpg

Apologies for bringing you tales of death in Westbury, Wilts. I will be glad to leave!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We have an alpaca farm nearby so they're not reaaly wild but the young ones are very cute.
I did see a long-tailed duck on Hove lagoon last weekend.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A few years back, my club went off to Snowdon (Llanberris) for a weekend (as we had done a few times) but we took the MTB's. Decided to go up Snowdon, but left Llanberris via a trail that went over towards the rangers path.... Got towards the top of the trail, and we all stopped for a moment to regroup. There was a flock of sheep hanging about, as they do, but not a sound, nothing, no birds tweeting anything.....even the sheep were quiet. Not been anywhere that quiet before or after....

bonj2

rich p said:
We have an alpaca farm nearby so they're not reaaly wild but the young ones are very cute.
I did see a long-tailed duck on Hove lagoon last weekend.

I also often ride past a field of what are apparently 'mayfield alpacas'. They are basically lamas.

Plax

Guru
fossyant said:
A few years back, my club went off to Snowdon (Llanberris) for a weekend (as we had done a few times) but we took the MTB's. Decided to go up Snowdon, but left Llanberris via a trail that went over towards the rangers path.... Got towards the top of the trail, and we all stopped for a moment to regroup. There was a flock of sheep hanging about, as they do, but not a sound, nothing, no birds tweeting anything.....even the sheep were quiet. Not been anywhere that quiet before or after....

Maybe they thought you were sheep worriers:biggrin:
Either that or you didn't have any sarnies with you. One time I went up the Llanberis path, we stopped by the "halfway house" to have a butty and this cheeky sheep tried to steal our food.

I regularly see loose sheep on my commute. It does concern me sometimes as they have a tendency to run out into the road, and I'd rather not be offed by one. Got the fright of my life one day when I came face to arse with an escaped cow who was quite happily munching on the hedge up one of the side roads I take.

I like the Padarn lake in the summer, I usually see ducks and their offspring on the path, plus there have been some swans about. An owl flew in front of me one night and I regularly frighten the life out of squirrels.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To Plax....

The sheep in Wales seem fairly Bike aware - i.e. don't move..... it's the buggers on the Isle of Mann (home of cats with no tails) where you are coming of the mountain giving it some serious speed, then realise these sheep are stoopid.... argh... (on the what was the Isle of Mann International Cycling Week - fab).....

Did come across a whole herd of cows on one club run - don't move - let them pass...... one of the lads did a runner back down the lane - fairly docile, but don't upset them..... nice animals, but they do weigh a bit.... and to have a herd pass you on the road stood astride a nice bike...argh and wearing slippy Look pedal cleats.......!

OP
OP
P

Pete

Bigtallfatbloke said:
lot's of dead badgers around at the moment..bloody car drivers....
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Stories about farmers planting them by the roadside, abound...

Plax said:
One time I went up the Llanberis path, we stopped by the "halfway house" to have a butty and this cheeky sheep tried to steal our food.
I've had that too, also in Wales. Years ago on Pen-y-Fan: I wasn't veggie in those days, and we were just tucking into some ham sandwiches. The sheep helped themselves.

Cannibals.

Renard

Saw two dead badgers and a dead barn owl on the same road this afternoon. All definitely road kill unless the farmer has a penchant for mutilation too :ohmy:

Top Bottom