Self Inflating Camping Mats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@ChrisEyles
Just to let you know I have been told that "cheap" plastic like thermal inflating mats don't take well to being folded and that this is likely to lead to early leaks. I have no idea if this is true.

If you/one is cautious, might possibly be an idea to avoid the thermarest folding technique and transport it just rolled in its full size bag though this will of course be substantially bigger.

All of these mats should of course be stored unrolled, flat, not packed, with the valve open. My thermarest sleeps on top of a tall wardrobe, invisible.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks a lot for the tips @Blue Hills, that's all good to know. I will have to try and find a suitable place to store it flat at work (or maybe in the car boot) since most of my bivvying trips start from there.

Using a backpack, the full-length rolling technique should be fine, since it can be conveniently held in place with the straps that hold the top flap down. When I'm using panniers on the touring bike I shall probaby cross my fingers and fold it up small to fit it in.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well I've put the cheap £6 Tesco inflatable mat through its paces a few times now, and I must say I'm very pleased with it.

The good:
Very comfortable indeed; self-inflates quite well; easy to roll up and stick on the bike; seems to make quite a difference in heat retention (though you don't really need that at the moment); only cost £6

The bad:
It's a bit bigger than it needs to be and takes up a fair bit of space when rolled in its carry bag; I don't necessarily expect it to last too long (no sign of anything giving way yet, indeed it seems perfect, but longevity at that price just seems to good to be true)

Very much worth the extra weight (which to be honest, I didn't even notice on top of my regular kit) and storage space (which was a bit more of a faff) though. I'd recommend to pretty much anyone.

FWIW I'm using mine inside my bivvy bag, and am also putting a foam roll mat underneat the bivvy bag to keep it from getting scratched/torn on the ground.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Having unceremoniously binned my Exped Downmat after a weekend camping... I'm looking for a new mat for next summer. I'm not going to spend that amount of money again though so am looking for something cheap and thermal and no more than 5cm thick (my wedge shaped tent is a tad low at the foot end). The Tesco bargain looks way too thick.

Durability is something i'm looking for too... the Exped had slow punctures that i couldn't locate. It was always flat in the morning, which isn't ideal.

I know this is a two year old thread, but maybe the members who are still around might still be using the same mats, or did they only last one season?

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
My Tesco one is still going strong, was a great bargain. I wouldn't say it was any more than 5cm thick when inflated, although it doesn't compress down anywhere near as small as a more expensive one.

97700297-DD4E-44B9-A05B-6B92916580A6.jpeg
3B60CAF8-2BE4-461B-945A-6A9D093A7709.jpeg
F1EC47A3-4B8A-4526-A326-F20F1A0F1AD5.jpeg

I bought this Crivet one from Lidl For about £18 but they may have some in their sale bins

I’ve used it a few times during the summer, it was fine, held air and is easy to inflate/deflate. You may need some insulation underneath - picnic blankets or radiator reflector would be the cheapest way to achieve this if you don’t mind the extra weight

Another one was a forclaz mat from Decathlon , self inflating.

That was a little more expensive but is more insulated but still packs up small although the one I have was discontinued but I’m sure they have replaced/upgraded it

Edit: I think it was @ChrisEyles that linked, in a different thread, the basha in the attached image. I’m glad he did, it’s a great bit of kit

Edited to add the decathlon mat, which I got the name of wrong

Last edited:

robing

Über Member
I'm on my second thermarest evo lite. After a couple of previous cheaper mats I realised they were a false economy. I ruined my first thermarest by over inflation but thermarest have a lifetime guarantee. So all I had to pay was postage.

It's a great mat, very comfortable and warm. I use a thin foam mat underneath it to protect it from any sharp objects.

simongt

Guru
Bought an original Thermarest back in 1991 for £50, which was pricy at the time, but having said that, it's never let me down since.
the term 'self inflating' is a bit misleading, as I've always had to give any I've had a wee blast with my lungs to get them to full inflation.

freiston

Veteran
I've got a Multimat Adventure 38 which I'm very pleased with. It's my first and only (self) inflating mat and so I can't compare it to others. It's not the smallest packed up but it's not a bad size. I pack it into a front pannier along with my (small) sleeping bag, (inflatable) pillow and a pair of crocs. I haven't used it in very cold weather but I have used it directly on concrete and found it comfortable and tough enough for it.

RRP is £59 I think but can be found a lot cheaper.

Edit - here's a link to one for £39.72 with specs given thus:
  • 75D rip-stop polyester upper fabric
  • TPU membrane for air-tight seal
  • Quality lightweight vertically drilled 16kg/m3 PU foam core for lasting performance and full inflation
  • Easy valve can be locked while adding air by mouth for extra firmness
  • Mat supplied with stuff sack matching upper fabric retaining bands & repair kit
  • Season rating 4
  • Tog value 5.3
  • Size: 183 x 51 cm
  • Thickness: 3.8 cm
  • Pack size: 26.5 x 15.3 cm
  • Weight: 725g

There's a video on Youtube where you can see the packed mat being handled (and get an idea of the size) at about 4'30":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPkv4RN6Syw

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
I've never been able to get on with these SIM's, tried many including the expensive Thermarest one. The only ones that come close have to be at least 6cm thick, then the pack size is far too big as i usually camp with my motorcycle.
The old style rubberised cotton airbeds work best for me, i get a good nights sleep on them. The only downside with them is that there is no insulation from the ground like you get with the SIM's.

My Tesco one is still going strong, was a great bargain. I wouldn't say it was any more than 5cm thick when inflated, although it doesn't compress down anywhere near as small as a more expensive one.

Many thanks for reporting back.
Is this the blue plasticky one?

How much use has it had?

ChrisEyles

Guru
Many thanks for reporting back.
Is this the blue plasticky one?

How much use has it had?

That's right, the cheapo blue plasticky one. It's had two year's worth of use now (summer only), maybe 20 outings.

Unfortunately I've been put off using it a bit recently as all the potentially good camping spots around me now have been really bad for ticks this year!

Top Bottom