Selling bikes on Gumtree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

Hi,

I’ve been selling 2nd hand bikes from ‘legitimate’ sources on gumtree since February last year.

As you know stolen bikes on gumtree are a problem.

People are right to ask questions such as ‘how long have you had the bike for?’ ‘why are you selling it?’ ‘do you have a receipt?’ etc

Due to technical issues with gumtree last week and my own haste and desperation (needing cash quickly),I posted an ad on a new account because a previous one was processing for 4-5 days.

Because the new ad was on a new account (and I wanted cash quickly) I used selling tactics and pricing details that could be construed as suspect.

My ads are legit so what information would you like to see in an ad that would make you comfortable buying from someone like me who is just trying to make some extra cash

If people ask me why I’m straight up with them

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Land line number as well as a mobile.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i never give number , but perhaps i will in future .

just recently my ads are taking 7-12 hours processing as well , but still sell so no issues

Ethan

landline, invitation to come see the bike and as much information as possible about the bike.
Obviously is its a cheap and cheerful bike then dont bother, but if Im looking for a good second hand bike which ill be spending a fair lump on, I'd look for terms generally used by cyclists.
If its stolen, its more likely than not by someone who isn't into their cycling - As far as I see it if they answer with technical terms and seem to have a good understanding then thats fair research.

OP
OP
C

cycleman

Thanks for all the replys guys. I may consider the landline approach in future.

Top Bottom