Seriously strong cycling buddies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Bigger legs give you the potential to push a higher gear than someone with weedy legs. The speed and endurance bit is down to fitness level.
But a big gear pushed by someone with big legs at 'x' rpm is not necessarily faster than someone with weedy legs spinning a lower gear at 'x*1.5' rpm - as is my experience being a weedy leg cyclist who has won open TTs on 86" fixed :okay:

Stompier

A 'weedy legged' cyclist, pictured earlier:

1578092891623.png

DSK

There's a mental hill/climb called Copse Hill in Wimbledon. Usually cyclists cause a bit a tail back on this horrendous hill. Many would find it quicker to dismount and walk. Around March last year, I struggled to catch a cyclist in my car doing 30mph ish which is very odd :blink:. I had to speed up to catch him to see what was going on. He must have cycled all the way up it at around 20/25mph ish as I do not recall dropping below 28 mph. I was in such awe I stayed behind for the last 1/2 of the hill, baffled at how this guy chap was tearing up the hill, without any fellow car drivers getting impatient. I have never seen anything like it before or since! The rider was a ripped bodybuilder (not a heavy weight Ronnie Coleman but more like a middle weight), massive shredded legs on show, muscles bulging out of the lycra.:notworthy:

Stompier

Makes you wonder if the guy in the pic I posted above (Rohan Dennis, world TT champ) could even stay with an awesome guy like that ;)

iandg

Legendary Member
Makes you wonder if the guy in the pic I posted above (Rohan Dennis, world TT champ) could even stay with an awesome guy like that ;)

Who knows I was a 6' 2" 65kg whippet who used to ride 2-up TTs with someone built like an ox - we were similar ability time wise and it worked well because we knew each other.

pjd57

Veteran
I don't know if weight / build play any part in cycling ability , away from the top end of the sport.
As a skinny stayer, speed isn't an issue for me, there isn't any.
I can last all day and will get there , eventually

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
But a big gear pushed by someone with big legs at 'x' rpm is not necessarily faster than someone with weedy legs spinning a lower gear at 'x*1.5' rpm - as is my experience being a weedy leg cyclist who has won open TTs on 86" fixed :okay:

That's true, but if the bloke with big legs can up his cadence sufficiently as well as push a high gear, then he may well be pretty quick despite being built like a brick outhouse.
Someone with big legs will also have more blood volume and it's quite possible they will be more resistant to lactic acid build up because of this.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Someone with big legs will also have more blood volume and it's quite possible they will be more resistant to lactic acid build up because of this.
The first part of the sentence may be true, although there are a lot of other factors to take into account in determining blood volume; however the second part is wrong....lactic acid build up is metabolic not a function of blood volume. It depends on so many other factors: fitness, genetic issues, lung capacity etc

Stompier

I don't know if weight / build play any part in cycling ability , away from the top end of the sport.

The laws of physics generally apply to everyone equally, regardless of level ;)

Again, that's not how it works. This 'big legs' thing really is a red herring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom