Seriously strong cycling buddies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I enjoy cycling but im no Chris Froome by any imagination but some of my cycling buddies are in a completely different league to me, and today i was amazed by one of them.
7 miles from home from work, i past a good fellow cyclist friend in my car along a fast busy A road. The traffic was moving along quickly and (naturally) gave him a wide berth as i passed. When i reached my small town 7 miles in, i stopped at the shop to pay the last dreaded council tax bill
I was only in there for five minutes before i got back on my way again.
At the lights i couldn't believe my eyes as he came past me loaded up with a big ruck sack and looking fresh. After looking on strava i spotted that he had covered 25 miles at an average of 21 mph!!!!
I would of felt proud if i could of averaged 17 without any baggage along that road.
The thing is he's not the perfect shape of what you would perceive of a fast cyclist. Built like a brick poo house instead of the lighweighted guys you see.
A big kudos from me ^_^

Stompier

It was windy today - maybe he had a tailwind.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Us brick poo houses have such and identity issue with cycling ...... we cant climb like you can ... but give us a head wind and a flat road and we can power off into the distance ....

People ask me what i do for exercise ... i tell them ... and get strange looks ......
I am 115kg, 6' 2" ... 61 and still a powerhouse .... even if only in my head :laugh:
But people only see the 60 - 70 kg cyclists on tv ....
Big guy in lycra ..... scary .....^_^

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Every time ive seen him he always seems to be riding flat out. He never looks particularly aero but more just brut force. His bike almost looks like its being tortured by the power he puts down through the peddles.

iandg

Legendary Member
I'm one of those people who can just keep going, always have been - I rode my first 100 mile event when I was 12 years old. Not particularly fast (now), but faster than some. Not that strong either, people power past me on climbs - but I can just keep going all day long at my own steady pace.

edit: I'm tall and skinny as f*** btw

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What I put it down to is big blokes who are heavy are giving their legs a workout all the time they are up on their feet just going about their day to day activities. Their legs have to work a lot harder just to hold their bodies up than skinny blokes who would blow away in a gust of wind. That mean, cycling aside, they tend to have bigger more muscular legs - which translates to the ability to generate more torque when pushing the pedals.

Stompier

That mean, cycling aside, they tend to have bigger more muscular legs - which translates to the ability to generate more torque when pushing the pedals.

That's not going to be it. 'Bigger' legs do not translate into more ability to ride faster for longer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's a guy who rides with a Clitheroe club who is short, stocky with a big belly but he's an animal on the bike, though not a racing snake by any stretch of the imagination.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Totally agree iandg .... i have done a number of group rides with friends over the last 3 years and often find myself deliberately sloping off the back as i just want to potter at my own pace ... not the pace of the group ...
On a recent CTC ride ( Whitehaven to Tynemouth ) i slid off the back on day one ..( with my good mate Nick ).
Rode a different route to my colleagues (14 miles longer) and arrived at the campsite 2 hours later .... but enjoyed my ride ..
I can ride from dawn to dusk ... but at my pace .....
This is why events with a start and finish time do not work for me .....
I have had enough challenges in my life ..... i don't need any more ..... Testosterone and Oestrogen fuelled "challenges" are not for me.
Events like the Pan Celtic .... should have no finish constraints .... i may ride the route in 3 continuous months and be disqualified but someone that gives up on day 3 will be in the same bed as me.
AUDAX .... Have a brevet for your 600km finishers within the time limit ....Respect .. . and have acknowledgement for those that finish ....... 2 days later .......
why not ??

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Its good though to see people stronger than you. Im no spring chicken anymore but i always try my best to improve. When i see cycling buddies a lot stronger than me it gives me an incentive to push that little harder. In my own little narrow minded world it only means for one thing. Keeping the passion for cycling alive and beating personal goals in life. Its a win win for physical health, mental health, and environment

Top Bottom