Setting up Avid BB7 Road Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Anyone got any tips for doing this? I have become increasingly frustrated with this brakes, as they seem to require far too much adjusting to stop rubbing, or becoming spongy. I recently totally started over by undoing the cable, nuts and taking the calipers off the bike to reseat them on the bosses, and truing the disc. Everything was great with the bike upside down, with the wheel aligned properly, the quick release done up tightly, the calipers aligned well, the pads super close (but without touching at all as far as I could see or hear) and the levers/ cable tension feeling nice and tight. However as soon as I turned it over, there is an annoying rubbing noise, which sounds like there's a tiny violinist trapped in the calipers, playing a high pitched version of the tune from Jaws when the wheel is moved a couple of inches back and forth. What am I doing wrong??

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I follow this method, even bought a little dremel to sort the ends of the cable outers, we have BB7s on 6 bikes now and they rarely need adjustment:-

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/avid-bb7-disc-brake-set-and-tuning

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Lots of great info there. Thanks.

Everything seems to be working far better now, possibly helped by getting some new Jagwire cables (although annoyingly there wasn't enough outer or inner to upgrade the gear cables too).

I found the BB7s Unbelieveably easy to set up thanks to the adjustable dial each side.

The sponginess you describe may possibly be because you haven't bedded the brakes in? I found they were much, much better if bedded in properly, following the procedure below.

When first putting the new pads in, take the bike out and sprint hard up to a decent speed, then brake hard with the front brake only. Do this ten times, or until you feel the distinct moment when the brakes suddenly improve. Be very careful to choose an appropriate road to do this, and be careful not to put yourself over the top when braking hard!

Repeat the procedure for the rear brake only. Try not to skid - brake hard enough to get just before that point.

Repeat procedure using both brakes at the same time, voila, brakes are now bedded in.

It is apparently possible to just be patient and bed them in over time, with normal braking, but I always found this resulted in a much sponger feel than the sharp, precise feel you get after doing the above.

Si_

Regular
running bb5 road and they seem to require a little tickle every now and then. plus if you pop the wheel out and then refit with a different tension on the QR the disc pad relationship is changed.

potsy

Rambler
Really glad I upgraded my front brake to BB7, much better than the BB5's and adjustment is a doddle with the twin dials.
Will probably do the same with the rear when I get round to it :thumbsup:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I have BB7 roads on my tourer, and I love them. However, I didn't love them as much when I had STI shifters that I found has just a little less than optimal cable pull for these brakes. I use Cane Creek levers now with a slightly longer cable pull, and they made a huge difference for me. Course I know if you're using STIs to change gear this may not help you, but just throwing in the issue of cable pull as another variable to consider.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Will be interesting to see road biased forums slowly becoming inundated with disc related woes as they become more popular.

Discs are great but warps can cause rubbing and can be a PITA to straighten at times. Lots of disc brakes squeal like crazy and then you have the odd air in the lines problem to contend with when hydraulics make their mark.

A whole new world of pain awaits! :laugh:

Top Bottom