setting up front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
you are right. There are specific front mechs for specific chain widths, but you and your bike shop is wrong to suggest using the wrong size front mech would cause the mech to push the chain over the edge of the outer ring.

that would be caused by your limit screws being adjusted badly........

yes, it was. But with the wider 8 speed mech, it was obviously the case that having the limit screw adjusted loose enough to enable the inner plate to move the chain far enough, was causing the outer plate to be too far out to prevent it throwing it off.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Manufacturers may well describe front mechs as 8, 9 or 10 speed but in practice it makes feck all difference. Until recently I was using a front mech from the days when 8 speed was cutting edge with a 10 speed QS shifter with zero problems.

If this thread is not just a wind-up and they really did sell you a new mech they either saw you comming or they don't know their arse from elbow.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Smokin Joe said:
Manufacturers may well describe front mechs as 8, 9 or 10 speed but in practice it makes feck all difference. Until recently I was using a front mech from the days when 8 speed was cutting edge with a 10 speed QS shifter with zero problems.

If this thread is not just a wind-up and they really did sell you a new mech they either saw you comming or they don't know their arse from elbow.

They didn't sell me a new mech. If you've nothing else to contribute to the thread, thanks for your contributions so far.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Bonj, smokin joe has much to contribute to this thread as he is right, and worthy of contributing.

using a really old 6spd mech ie a suntour one that i have on my 9 speed mtb makes feck all difference to the limit screw set-up

Setting limit screw does require some finesse you know :sad:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well steve, some people say it makes a difference, some say it doesn't. Who do i believe. In all honesty mate I earn enough to be able to buy a new mech just to eliminate the possibility that it may do from my enquiries. I can see how it would make a difference, i.e.
having the limit screw adjusted loose enough to enable the inner plate to move the chain far enough, was causing the outer plate to be too far out to prevent it throwing it off

OP
OP
B

bonj2

if i want bike advice in future i'll probably find a forum where people aren't quite so sneering and confrontational. :sad:

bonj said:
if i want bike advice in future i'll probably find a forum where people aren't quite so sneering and confrontational. :sad:

Good F$%K off you guite ungrate full, confrontational unthank full *&^T all we was trying to do is help you when you asked for it and this is the thanks we get. I hope the next forum see's you for who you are before its to late.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

spandex said:
Good F$%K off you guite ungrate full, confrontational unthank full *&^T all we was trying to do is help you when you asked for it and this is the thanks we get.
you weren't trying to help at all. Your only intention is to gain instant gratification, to prove yourself the big man, the one to be hailed as the person who's 'come up with the goods', and when it's apparent that isn't going to be, you're not interested in working through the various possibilities, only in arguing as to why you were in fact right and should have 'won' the race to provide the correct answer.
Your first post at the top of page 2 starts taking issue with Dave5N, when he made a perfectly valid suggestion, so it doesn't take you long to show yourself as the preening fake-hero does it. Then with no prior hostility, you kick off the beef with 'Good try bonj good try'. I call that sneering, I don't know what you call it.
spandex said:
I hope the next forum see's you for who you are before its to late.
well, and care.

Top Bottom