Setting up MTB shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Spray Grease, guessing this will do the job.
Crisp 'N' Dry? :laugh:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's important to do what you can to get the position right before fitting the cleats to the shoe.

As noted above, you've got to do up the bolts tightly, or the cleats will move when you try to release your foot.

On the other hand, once the cleats have been bolted down tightly, the knobs on the back of the cleat leave dents in the shoe sole, and it becomes difficult to make small adjustments to the cleat position, as the knobs move back into the previous indentations as you do the bolts up.
It can be done, eg by using a pair of mole grips on the rear of the cleat to hold it still as you do up the bolts, but it's not easy.

Float allows a certain amount of leeway when setting the angle. As long as you don't feel the cleat reaching the end of the float whilst pedaling, the angle is near enough. Beyond that, float affects how far you've got to twist your foot to release it. So, lots of float = easy to set cleat position, but more twist to release; not much float = harder to position cleats, but less twist for release (not that you have any choice, beyond using a different pedal/cleat system).

You can fit the cleats dry to start with, and put grease on later by removing and refitting the bolts one at a time. Just don't leave it too long.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd recommend you buy the SH-56 cleats - these are multi-release ie - you can get out by moving/rolling your foot in any direction. Other versions limit it to one single direction - not ideal in a panic moment!

freiston

Veteran
After reading about cleat position on another forum, I took a long drill bit (pencil sort of size) and stood on it in my cycling shoe lengthways front to back and adjusted the position until I found the line I was most comfortable putting/balancing my weight on. I then did the same thing laterally under the ball of my foot and used the intersection as the aiming point for the centre of the cleat. It worked a treat and the improvement from before (when I used misguided "common sense") was very noticeable.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I generally have to set the cleats as far inboard as they will go - thus allowing my feet to be at the extreme outermost position on the pedals - it's like this on all my bikes; road, gravel and MTB. Discovered by trial and error but now I know I can set up a new pair pretty quickly.

I have one failure-to-unclip moment that comes to mind: I was taking part in a road sportive arranged by the company I work for for its workforce. I was slowly cycling to the start and two people came walking the other way, meaning I had to stop to allow them to pass. At this point I went to unclip and failed on the first attempt - I started leaning toward the pedestrians and panicked a bit; luckily the cleat released just in time for me to get a foot down, otherwise there was a high probability of me having to grab the pedestrian for support.

The pedestrian happened to be an invited VIP to the event - she was a brand ambassador for the company I worked for. Dear reader, I very nearly assaulted Lizzie Armitstead (as she was then).

Mike_P

Guru
I'd recommend you buy the SH-56 cleats - these are multi-release ie - you can get out by moving/rolling your foot in any direction. Other versions limit it to one single direction - not ideal in a panic moment!
Agree but I just use the 56s on my right foot as that is my natural one to put on floor first. That way you can use any 51s up that you get with pedals

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Agree but I just use the 56s on my right foot as that is my natural one to put on floor first. That way you can use any 51s up that you get with pedals
Dictionary definition of Yorkshire :notworthy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never felt the need for multi-release cleats, as long as the pedal release tensions are low enough. Each foot only need a gentle outward twist of the heel and that is it released.

Top Bottom