Setting up MTB shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Once they are in place, do they fix in the 4 recessed black holes or do I fix these in position prior to attaching the cleats?
Each cleat uses 2 of the 4 holes.

Ah, @Landsurfer has got in there ahead of me while I was typing...

You choose the forward or backward pair of holes according to which give you the better cleat position, which is up to you to decide.

I don't agree with the advice not to initially 'excessively' tighten the bolts... I did that once and the cleat just turned when I tried to unclip, so I couldn't unclip. I had to take my foot out of the shoe and faff about to get it off the pedal. I set the cleat position, then tighten the bolts. I do agree about going for a test ride and seeing how the setup feels. You don't want any sensation that your feet are unable to go freely to the angle that you want them to be at. I like to ride 'heels-in' so I adjust the cleats so that my feet go naturally to that position without the cleats resisting the movement. You also need to make sure that you can unclip without an excessive rotation of the feet. If you have the cleat too far one way, you would struggle to unclip. Too far the other way and you would accidentally unclip. It isn't hard to do all of this. If you don't get it right first time (you probably won't!), loosen the bolts and make a slight adjustment.

In case it isn't obvious, the cleats need to be rotated in the opposite direction to the way you want you foot to move! I.e. if your heels are too far IN then the backs of the cleats need to be adjusted to be further OUT.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Each cleat uses 2 of the 4 holes.

Ah, @Landsurfer has got in there ahead of me while I was typing...

You choose the forward or backward pair of holes according to which give you the better cleat position, which is up to you to decide.

I don't agree with the advice not to initially 'excessively' tighten the bolts... I did that once and the cleat just turned when I tried to unclip, so I couldn't unclip. I had to take my foot out of the shoe and faff about to get it off the pedal. I set the cleat position, then tighten the bolts. I do agree about going for a test ride and seeing how the setup feels. You don't want any sensation that your feet are unable to go freely to the angle that you want them to be at. I like to ride 'heels-in' so I adjust the cleats so that my feet go naturally to that position without the cleats resisting the movement. You also need to make sure that you can unclip without an excessive rotation of the feet. If you have the cleat too far one way, you would struggle to unclip. Too far the other way and you would accidentally unclip. It isn't hard to do all of this. If you don't get it right first time (you probably won't!), loosen the bolts and make a slight adjustment.

In case it isn't obvious, the cleats need to be rotated in the opposite direction to the way you want you foot to move! I.e. if your heels are too far IN then the backs of the cleats need to be adjusted to be further OUT.

Thanks very helpful.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
get the cleats fitted to the 2 bolt holes under the ball of your foot, do not excessively tighten the bolts, set the pedal tension to low, ride for about 10 miles... if no discomfort finally tighten up the cleat bolts in your shoes ... your feet tend to find their own place .... don't over think it ..... KISS

Thanks for explaining.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks that is great, I will order those.

Once they are in place, do they fix in the 4 recessed black holes or do I fix these in position prior to attaching the cleats?
The cleats come with the pedals if you buy new
As above, you need the bolts tight. If they loosen or come out while clipped in, you won’t be able to unclip and you’ll end up on your backside or worse. DAMHIKT
Grease the cleat bolts before screwing into the shoes. also keep the bolt holes clear of muck and little stones and watch out for chewing gum! If the holes become irreparably blocked, you may need them drilled out. Again DAMHIKT

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
The cleats come with the pedals if you buy new
As above, you need the bolts tight. If they loosen or come out while clipped in, you won’t be able to unclip and you’ll end up on your backside or worse. DAMHIKT
Grease the cleat bolts before screwing into the shoes. also keep the bolt holes clear of muck and little stones and watch out for chewing gum! If the holes become irreparably blocked, you may need them drilled out. Again DAMHIKT

Thanks Vickster.

I don't own any grease. I might try to go into a local bike shop and see if they can get me set up.

Bit more technical than I first appreciated.

iluvmybike

Über Member
+1 for what ColinJ said - if you don't tighten the cleats they will just twist. It might help initial set up if you get a piece of foil and stand on it then carefully step off and see the imprint your foot has left to see any inward/outward pointing of toes etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Vickster.

I don't own any grease. I might try to go into a local bike shop and see if they can get me set up.

Bit more technical than I first appreciated.
Buy some copper grease, you’ll certainly need it when you fit the pedals. Although Halfords should of course be able to do that for you when you pick them up (just remember to take the bike ;) )

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Buy some copper grease, you’ll certainly need it when you fit the pedals. Although Halfords should of course be able to do that for you when you pick them up (just remember to take the bike ;) )

Lol thus far Halfords have been useless.

Took my order, before refunding me due to being out of stock.

Now have to drive to pick them up from another Halfords store :cursing:

They do seem to be the cheapest seller of these pedals, so I will give them that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lol thus far Halfords have been useless.

Took my order, before refunding me due to being out of stock.

Now have to drive to pick them up from another Halfords store :cursing:

They do seem to be the cheapest seller of these pedals, so I will give them that.
Just get them delivered? Cheapest not always best as you've seen. Do you have a proper bike shop locally... generally they will sell you the pedals, fit them and help you with the cleats (for a minimal fee usually). There MUST be a bike shop other than Halfords in St Albans surely? Google shows a number thereof in and around St A

Bike shops St Albans

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Yes I spoke to a local bike shop, called BC Cycles. He said that they were not 'bike fitters' and the set up preference was personnal.

He recommended that I watch YouTube and do it myself.

Can you dry fit pedals or is the copper grease a necessity?

jay clock

Massive member
I have just set up a pair exactly like that. The big issue to get right is the rotation of the cleat so that the foot falls at the correct angle, i.e. with it in a straight line or the heel slightly to the left or slightly to the right. Tighten them properly and go for a quick ride and you will quickly tell okay. If they don't then it is a brain ache to work out which way to twist them but they have a few millimetres of movement and ample to allow the foot to be well positioned. I also agree that you need to do them up properly every time you test them, don't just leave them a bit loose as they will get stuck in the pedals

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I spoke to a local bike shop, called BC Cycles. He said that they were not 'bike fitters' and the set up preference was personnal.

I'd say it's a necessity if you ever want them to come off again easily! Halfords should sell bike grease (you might be able to use vaseline but not as good)

vickster

Legendary Member

Try another, but yes, you could do it yourself

jay clock

Massive member

You can definitely dry fit them when testing. Would be a good idea to put a bit of grease on them for the longer term

Top Bottom