Seven Must Have Accessories for Cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey, I wonder what that bag is like in the wind?

Bodhbh

Guru
http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/health/7-musthave-accessories-for-cyclists-a3540441.html
Not sure I agree with all seven - especially the last one - really useful for a weekend away?

I had my first go with one last weekend, a custom job from Alpkit to fit the triangle on my Inbred. I was quite impressed - it doesn't budge, has a map pocket for easy access to OS maps and has an inner partition. Lock and tool kit in the bottom half, wet weather gear in top, 4 OS maps in the side. With the heavy stuff down near the BB it keeps the centre of gravity low and the bike less back heavy than panniers. And yeah I think it's noticable on climbs where you'd maybe be popping wheelies otherwise.

Downsides are, you have to find somewhere else to put your bottles cages (the fork in my case) and they don't seem particularly waterproof - unlike for example Ortlieb panniers which 100% are. Also, the volume is not really massive - the items I listed above pretty much fill it. Horses for courses I guess - hardly must have tho...

/edit - didn't notice side winds being a problem. At least not anymore than they normally are on a 29er with plus tyres :laugh:

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Spare tube. So inexpensive ,so easy, so sensible.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes: buff (although I use a clone).

Yes with slight changes: mini-pump (mini floor pump with gauge), lights (legal German ones not those trinkets).

No: Garmin (phones are better), Quad Lock (pockets are better), multitool (never seen one with the mix I need, the tool body gets in the way and individual tools are generally lighter), frame bag (saddlebags and rack bags are better - even from alpkit - and even panniers are better).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Buff is a clone of the old Army headover. I still use the fleece headovers in winter, 2 on a really nippy evening.
I went into my local supermarket 3 years ago and they were selling knock off polar buffs for about 3 quid was wearing my polar Buff at the time and compared them. I could not tell the difference. I bought about 20 of them and gave them away as Christmas presents. I kept 5 and they are still going strong. . Buff are great but they are overpriced.

gbb

Legendary Member
GPS and quad lock...nah. I go where my nose takes me and enjoy it all the same.
Good I suppose if you're a bit anal about your stats...but not for me thanks.

Top Bottom