Shaft Drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Still a long way from the goal post, they have to work out how to move it across the cheese grater to get different gears, it's not simply having the teeth(?) going outwards as they currently have it, as they will not be inline with each other. Also as pointed out, how much power/leg force could you put through it.

Alan O

Über Member
Still a long way from the goal post, they have to work out how to move it across the cheese grater to get different gears, it's not simply having the teeth(?) going outwards as they currently have it, as they will not be inline with each other. Also as pointed out, how much power/leg force could you put through it.
I'd wonder about what happens when the teeth start to wear too. A chain has tension to keep it tightly engaged with the teeth, but how would a pinion behave?

D

Deleted member 26715

I suspect that they are currently relying on the multitude of bearing which means wear will be minimal

Tim Hall

There's another video on Youtube where the guy from the inventors talks about shifting. The shaft will have a battery, electronic brain and linear actuator in it. The cassette will have a series of shifting gates. When the rider presses the shift button the electronic brain waits until the shift gates are in the right place then changes gear.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The bikes at a French Centerparcs (Les Bois-Francs) a couple of years ago were all shaft drive. I'd taken my own bike so I can't provide a review.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mobikes and their ilk are shaft drive but they are heavy and slow.

The design shown in the video above will need to be much stronger and hence heavier to keep everything in place under heavy torque, as in climbing hills for example.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sadly thinking about this out on a ride yesterday, the only way I can see it working is instead of there only being 1 drive from the shaft to the rear 'cog' there are 8 drives all constantly turning but only 1 engaged at any 1 time, the trick will then be to design something that can seamlessly shift between 2 'cogs'. F1 & some road cars have a double clutch system, where it effectively is in 2 gears at once but only 1 is driving but doing this under an acceptable weight will be difficult I suspect.

Top Bottom