Shaving - what kind of razor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They're lovely looking items, I must say.
I use disposables at the mo since I had a tantrum at the ridiculous price of Gillette blades.

perplexed

Guru
Crankarm said:
I guess there won't be any fermale contributors to this thread :wacko:?

Oh I dunno, you should see some of the wimmin up the road in Barnsley...:thumbsup:

Gillette Blue 2 for me, with Body Shop Creme de Maca shaving cream and a proper brush. Very sensitive skin and an awkward face, and after years of experimenting this is definitely the best combination for me.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Be very careful with this subject. Before you know it someone will pop up and claim membership of a shaving internet forum. And how sad would that be?

Don't be mean - let tyred goo mason have his moment :laugh:

I've had the same Gilette GII razor for gawd knows how long now. Usually get the blades from Mozzer as they're cheap and probably made in the same factory as Gillete blades. I use shave cream put on with a badgerless brush.

I have a safety razor too but don't use it that much.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
+1 Was in Asdas the other day buying some blades, £9 for four?!

So instead bought Asdas own brand five blade razor and it's fantastic.

Surely, it would be four packs, each containing 5 - 10 blades ?

Still expensive though.

tyred

Legendary Member
on the road said:
Don't use the Bic razors, you'll end up with loads of cuts :evil:

Funny enough, a single balde Bic is my razor of choice now. I do sometimes use an Edwin Jagger safety razor of the type in the OP. I used a Gillette GII for many years but blades are now hard to come by so I've retired it. The prices for the modern razors like the Fusion are ridiculous and I've come to the conclusion that more blades equals more irritation.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I use a Gillette mach4 razor. It's a shame that the blade are so expensive though. I started off with an old safety razor when I was a mere teenager. My dad still uses the safety razor he was issued with when he was conscripted into the army in 1944. The top unscews to put the blade in. He can still get the blades from his local chemist.

jeltz

Veteran
tyred said:
Funny enough, a single balde Bic is my razor of choice now. I do sometimes use an Edwin Jagger safety razor of the type in the OP. I used a Gillette GII for many years but blades are now hard to come by so I've retired it. The prices for the modern razors like the Fusion are ridiculous and I've come to the conclusion that more blades equals more irritation.

Very true, its far better to learn to shave properly with 1 blade 5 blades = 5 times the skin scraped off! Since ditching multi blade razors and canned shaving foam in favour of a single blade, shaving brush and soap I don't get razor burn or in grown hairs, but I do get a very close irritation free shave.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
+1 Was in Asdas the other day buying some blades, £9 for four?!

So instead bought Asdas own brand five blade razor and it's fantastic.

+1. I still have a Mach 3 handle around somewhere but I refuse to pay two quid a blade when I can get 10 razors for a quid & pennies. I just get disposable twin-blades from Tesco or Boots or wherever, which lasts me a year (I only shave a couple of times a week - don't mind looking a bit scruffy.)

ChrisKH

Guru
pubrunner said:
Yes, just like the one in this pic.

SafetyRazor.jpg

Bl**dy hell, a reply like yours, really makes me feel old ! :ohmy:

I had one of those once. It ued to tighten up by screwing the head. I tightened it too much once, hand slipped and I gouged out the top of my thumb. xx(:evil: I still cringe when I think of it.

Mach razor for me. Preparation is everything; wash and clean face with soap and water, use shaving oil as a base, then foam over the top. Wash with very hot clean water when finished shaving and pat dry with a clean dry towel. Finish up with a lubricating aftershave lotion (Gillette or Molton Brown).

Wolf04

Have tried every wet razor which has come on the market since I started shaving with the traditional safety razor. I can't say I've noticed any huge improvement in shave or comfort. I currently use Gilette Fusion not because "it's the best a man can get" but because the blades last for ages.

Top Bottom