Shaving - what kind of razor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
perplexed said:
Oh I dunno, you should see some of the wimmin up the road in Barnsley...:evil:
I worked in Barnsley for 25 years years and in Wilkinsons the Black and Decker Ladyshave was indeed a steady seller.

The secret to a decent wet shave is to give the bristles several minutes in warm water: that's why they had hot face flannels in Victorian Gentlemen's Barbers. Then use shaving soap, not one of those poxy aerosols which contain nothing to soften keratin.

I get 30 good shaves out of a swivel-thingie disposable.

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely use proper shaving soap. Not only does it work better, it is cheaper, lasts longer and for the enviromentally concerned types, it produces less waste so it's win, win.

zacklaws

Guru
ASC1951 said:
The secret to a decent wet shave is to give the bristles several minutes in warm water: that's why they had hot face flannels in Victorian Gentlemen's Barbers.

Probably that's why I get a good shave after being in the shower for about 5mins followed by a shave before I get out.

battered

Guru
Shaving after your shower means the facial muscles will have woken up too. Apparently it makes a difference.

I currently have a beard but when I shave I use a variety of cheap disposables. Olive oil is a great shaving lubricant, you only need a few drops in warm water per shave. Leaves the sink grimy though!

The boutique disposable blades are indeed a silly price, but if Gillette can persuade men to pay £5 for 4 blades 'cos if you do gorgeous women will throw themsleves at you (and it seems they can) then good luck to them.

rusky

CC Addict
I always shave after a shower, gives good results.

Once you have got a good technique with a DE razor, buy a sample pack of blades to see which ones suit you.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
My wife's away from home during the weeks, so I only shave on Friday mornings nowadays. I can't remember the last time I put a new blade on the Mach 3.

potsy

Rambler
Gillette Fusion for me,used to be the disposables but the fusion gives a much smoother shave,although i only have 1 or 2 a week.But the price of blades:ohmy: got mine when Tesco was selling them cheap one week,hopefully they'll last til they're next on offer:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
pubrunner said:
I'd be interested to know what DE blades you would recommend.

My own favourites are Feather blades (the platinum-coated variety) from Japan. The sharpest blade there is - goes through stubble like a knife through butter . The real ninja sword of the DE blades :smile:

My 2nd fave at the moment is the Shaving Shack Israeli blade - works really well in certain razors.

It's all personal choice though - I recently sold on some Kai blades I bought as they brought my face out in a right mess, yet others have no bother with them. Similarly others don't get on with Feathers, whereas I love them.

Best to buy some sample selections from some of the online UK shaving retailers & see which blades suit you best.

goo_mason

potsy said:
Gillette Fusion for me,used to be the disposables but the fusion gives a much smoother shave,although i only have 1 or 2 a week.But the price of blades:ohmy: got mine when Tesco was selling them cheap one week,hopefully they'll last til they're next on offer:biggrin:

That's one of the reasons I decided to give DE shaving a go - good old razor blades are sooooo much cheaper!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cheap disposables here, used them for years with no problems. I refuse to pay over the odds for some of those triple bladed efforts

goo_mason

One of my classics: a 1948 - 1950 Gillette Aristocrat. What a shave...

IMG_0794.JPG

Stylish, manly, collectable - why settle for a piece of modern plastic rubbish? :biggrin:

Mach 3 for shaving my head...(ooer)

Did it with a BIC once and my head was covered in blood.

BIC for shaving generally...No prob.

Top Bottom