Shaving - what kind of razor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I gave up shaving a little over a year ago. Best decision I ever made, which with my judgement, isn't saying much.

I always hated shaving, the task every morning, the increasing expense and most of all the way it made by face feel like I'd exfoliated it with ill tempered sandpaper every day.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
My dad still uses the safety razor he was issued with when he was conscripted into the army in 1944. The top unscews to put the blade in. He can still get the blades from his local chemist.

Yes, I've got one of those - Gillette Tech.. Still an excellent razor.

Svendo

Guru
Two blade swivel head supermarket own brand disposables in pack of ten. Close enough to stop GF moaning for day and a half.

mark i

Gillette Fusion, again because the blades last bloomin ages (4 - 6 weeks). Biggest thing for shaving is when and the cream used. Always after my shower once I have cycled home, and using a cream and brush, not the horrid aerosols of foam / gel. Does not work out more expensive either.

Mr SHK uses a Braun plug-in shaver thing. Less irritation but smooth enough (although he does have to shave daily; would be day and a half otherwise I think).

For my legs though I still need a bladed razor, those plug in things don't shave off my fine leghairs (I'm a girl!).
So I've found these:
http://www.preserveproducts.com/products/personalcare/triple-razor.html
(didn't buy them all the way from the states though!) - seems a reasonable price; and replacement blades (haven't bought any yet):
http://www.greenlife.co.uk/greenlife-direct/product/preserve-razor-triple-blade-cartridges/176521/

Also seen them in some of the 'healthier' small shops; mine was from online.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, I use a safety razor, mostly because the prices of blades for other razors is daylight robbery and because they and the disposable ones get clogged and stop working half-way through a shave.

Of course, if I shaved more than twice a week, the clogging would be less of a problem, but then I'd wear out the blades faster anyway.

It can be hard to find decent blades, but Boots usually has them, so I stock up once a year or so.

By the way, I'm allergic to most soapy things. I use aqueous cream as a shaving lubricant. Works great, costs almost nothing. Try it - you have to ask pharmacy counters for it: it's so cheap they don't like putting it out on the shelves.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I started DE shaving back in December with a Merkur Futur, and have since become rather obsessed. At last count, I had over 30 razors which I've picked up over the months from eBay and on the buy/sell sections of other forums!! I have a wide selection of old Gillettes from the 1900s to 1968, a number of different Ever Ready single-edge razors and a variety of different Merkurs. I also have a nice collection of shaving creams, soaps, balms, after-shaves & colognes, plus a couple of bristle brushes and a Silvertip Badger one. Not to mention the selection of blades...

It's become as much an obsession as bikes :ohmy:

However, collecting aside, it's a very cheap way to shave (you'll get 100 blades for £20 or less) and I never got as good a shave with the old Mach 3s and so on. Like cycling, having a leisurely shave is very Zen & relaxing as well as being a return to a manly pursuit!

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
goo_mason said:
I started DE shaving back in December with a Merkur Futur, and have since become rather obsessed. At last count, I had over 30 razors which I've picked up over the months from eBay and on the buy/sell sections of other forums!! I have a wide selection of old Gillettes from the 1900s to 1968, a number of different Ever Ready single-edge razors and a variety of different Merkurs. I also have a nice collection of shaving creams, soaps, balms, after-shaves & colognes, plus a couple of bristle brushes and a Silvertip Badger one. Not to mention the selection of blades...

It's become as much an obsession as bikes :ohmy:

However, collecting aside, it's a very cheap way to shave (you'll get 100 blades for £20 or less) and I never got as good a shave with the old Mach 3s and so on. Like cycling, having a leisurely shave is very Zen & relaxing as well as being a return to a manly pursuit!

I'd be interested to know what DE blades you would recommend.

zacklaws

Guru
Zorrik twin blade disposables from Netto's, 26p for ten, one will last me about a fortnight or more. Thought I would try them instead of the Bic sensitive a long time ago and I have stuck with them since as they were that good. Just plain water to shave with whilst in the shower, no mirror, just go by feel.

Out of curiosity just googled them, and found one blog, which calls them the "Blade of Champions" and another site selling them for £1.49 for 10 and also a "shaved head" website that recommends them. Yet replacement Zorrik blades for reusable razors are supposed to be useless.

Maybe sticking a few packets on Ebay may bring dividends.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I go to the barbers. I'd shave myself, but at the cost of missing out on inconsequential football chitchat

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The best a Dan can get ...

dan79f.jpg

Top Bottom