Shed security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javabob

Morning all, just caught a scrote trying to get into my shed,little sod sprayed me in the face with my own bike cleaner just to add insult to injury!
Just wondering what you guys do for additional security beyond the basic door lock? Alarms? CCTV? Alligator pit?
Let me know your thoughts

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thankfully at least it wasn't a knife or something.
Beef up the door. Heavily. 2x3's around the door and frame. Heavy duty hinges. Fit mortice locks instead of padlocks. And yep, an alarm and big motion sensitive intruder light.
If you're gonna investigate next time, do so with a big heavy wrench or something.
Make sure your insurance (if any) covers outbuildings.

Tom B

Guru
I've got a Asgardsss.co.uk

In the day job I've seen a couple of these at a local school mutilated with prybars, spades and screwdrivers and not give up.

Of course you could always go at them with with a sthill saw but I think even I wound notice that at 3am.

I have the centurion a colleague has the bike locker and a bike bunker.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have some metal racking in the shed for plant pots which i bought cheap from Ikea. I loop the bike lock around 2 seperate racks to make it extra awkward to steal.

Also because I have "Platinum Cover" with Admiral, my home insurance covers bikes, shed security and also Family Legal cover allowing me to claim compensation from accidents without a legal firm taking a cut.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've got my bikes secured with Pragmasis chains and locks anchored to a Pragmasis floor bolt. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to cut the massive chains - not with bolt cutters, but power tools - but I think the scum would probably just move on; it would be too much like work for their tastes.

As an Australian who is familiar with such things, I do have fantasies about planting nice bed of gympie beneath the shed windows. A lovely plant, gympie. Grows in the tropics. Up in Queensland. Just brush lightly against one of the leaves and you'll be screaming in agony - for weeks.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have beefed up the doorframe with 2x2, and then the bolts that hold the hasps onto the shed are also beefed up behind. No screws are used now, all changed for 4inch coach bolts and locking nuts on the inside. This includes the hinges on the door, as, if there are screws there, any scrote could just unscrew the screws on the hinges and open the door that way. Any determined git would still probably get in, but they would have to make a lot of noise doing so.
Once in, all my bikes are chained and locked together with shackle locks so more noise would be made trying to cut/saw/break into the locks and chains.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've got my bikes secured with Pragmasis chains and locks anchored to a Pragmasis floor bolt. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to cut the massive chains - not with bolt cutters, but power tools - but I think the scum would probably just move on; it would be too much like work for their tastes.

As an Australian who is familiar with such things, I do have fantasies about planting nice bed of gympie beneath the shed windows. A lovely plant, gympie. Grows in the tropics. Up in Queensland. Just brush lightly against one of the leaves and you'll be screaming in agony - for weeks.

Sounds nice:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=279&v=8HOIQjILUBg

Hicky

Guru
Asgard shed, parked in front of a PIR floodlight.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
hildy1.jpg
Hears everything, objects to any intrusion in her home or garage, and can whistle up assistance from the other dog who is big and grumpy about such things.

At my old house ( small village in the country) I had 3 bikes stolen in total so at my newish house near the middle of a town my garden shed is quite flimsy so I have 2 oxford Anchorforce ground anchors with 3 heavy motorcycle security chains through them . The 5 bikes are secured to both and each other . However the real security is I live in a mid terrace house backed onto another long terrace of houses . To get into my garden you have to go through my house or someone elses and make off with the bikes back through my house or over multiple 6ft garden fences. There is always people passing my house on foot which is right beside a zebra crossing so they would have to be a very cocky burglar to break into my house from the front or rear.

Tom B

Guru
View attachment 472394 Hears everything, objects to any intrusion in her home or garage, and can whistle up assistance from the other dog who is big and grumpy about such things.

Dogs are funny things and behave differently when the pack leader (you) isnt around.

I've seen normally loud and aggressive looking dogs locked away by burglars to the amazement of the burglars won't get past my dog owners.

Conversely they also go the other way, my dog is bone idle doesn't bother about anything when we're around type. Barks and snarls at everything when we're out. (watched him on webcam)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Same here. More keen when I'm gone than when I'm there. She's an Elizabethan Beagle, very protective and very very loud. Also, as a breed characteristic, a great moocher at table. I live in the States, and as the baby boomers age, I get a lot of retired neighbors. Steel doors on the garage side and the house entry from the garage, set in steel. Other deterrents I won't mention.

Top Bottom