Shifters on Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like the Dawes Galaxy particularly as it comes in BRG (changed my mind about the Raliegh AIRlite 200) but I am not so sure about the bar end shifters, can I ask for shifters that are incorperated into the brake lever to be fitted instead at the point of sale or do I need to buy them seperatly and fit them myself? Many thanks for any help on this subject.

Err! I think this might be it the wrong forum, if so could any mods or Admin be so kind as to relocate it. Thank you very much. HG

mercurykev

It really depends on where you buy the bike. Some shops will fit for free but you'll be talking about and extra £120+ for a set of Tiagra STIs. If I were you I'd give the bar ends a try, they are pretty easy to use. If after a couple of months you decide you'd like integrated shifter get yourself a set and install them at home.

willem

Über Member
Such upgrades should not normally be a problem, as long as you are prepared to pay for them: drop bar sti levers are rather more expensive. There is one caveat, however. I am not sure what gearing Dawes have fitted on this bike, and what front derailleur, but some touring specific combinations don't work, or not well, with sti.
Willem

Touring bikes tend not to have STI shifters because they have fewer parts (and hence better reliability, in theory), and you can see what gear the bike is in, which you can't do if you have STIs and panniers
They are great; you'll learn how to use them within a day.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
chris667 said:
Touring bikes tend not to have STI shifters because they have fewer parts (and hence better reliability, in theory), and you can see what gear the bike is in, which you can't do if you have STIs and panniers
They are great; you'll learn how to use them within a day.

My Tiagra STI levers show which gear I'm in not that I need to look at the indicator windows as I change the gears according to the demands on my legs and not the visual indicators on the bars no matter what guise that they may be in.

STI's are fine but do not work with front MTB mechs whic are fitted to some touring bikes.

Bar ends are fine and I'm happy enough with the ones on my Galaxy to have never contemplated an 'upgrade'.

Just occasionally I find myself reaching for the bar end shifters on my STI equipped bike. I never find myself trying to change gear with the brake levers on my Galaxy.

LondonCommuter

I bought a Super Galaxy yesterday, having written off my Galaxy just before xmas. The STI shifters are great, but the bar end shifters were fine. You can often make shifts just be nudging them. The shifter for the rear is indexed (though this can easily be switched off) and the front one isn't which makes trimming easier. Still haven't mastered trimming on the STIs I must admit

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have bar ends on my Galaxy and sti on my bianchi. I like them both and have no issues moving between them...except one.

If I have to wear full gloves on a ride the bar ends are MUCH easier to operate I find. I have campagnolo shifters on the Bianchi and I find the levers and the button difficult to operate in heavy full gloves, where as the bar ends are foolproff even with two pairs of inner gloves on an ICY ride. Just a thought in case you plan on touring the Arctic or something.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...that just looks all wrong to me...nought wrong with bar end shifters ,(for me anyway)...they also make me change hand position more than sti s..which on a long day on tour is a good thing

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If it's going to cost you that much to change the shifters perhaps you'd be advised to get a Super Galaxy instead.

LondonCommuter

rich p said:
If it's going to cost you that much to change the shifters perhaps you'd be advised to get a Super Galaxy instead.

And if you're lucky enough to need the large frame size (like me) then get to Evans this week to get £200 off the list price + vouchers, which make it less than the rrp of the Galaxy + buying STIs from wiggle. (The Galaxy is also reduced, but that sort of price comparison is missing the point!)

Top Bottom