Shifting problems. New derailleur?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Salty seadog, 12 Jul 2018.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes, you've done all you can.

20.0%
  2. No and I'll tell you why.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Brexit.

80.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Right, I've been having shifting problems for a while. I can shift down the first 5 gears {from smallest Sprocket going up the block} fine by then the last 5 I have to hold the lever for a second or two to shift down and they sound a bit chatty. This is in the big ring up front. In the small ring shifting is similar except to change down I have to increase cable tension with the adjuster at the lever. Then going back sk to the big ring I have to let some tension out to quieten it down but it still behaves as described at the beginning.

New inner and outer put on a few months ago and today new chain and cassette as it was due. Also checked hanger alignment.

Still the problem is there.

This leaves me to suspect a new derailleur may be needed.

Sorry about the long post. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. wisdom

wisdom Über Member

Could be a cable problem.

3. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Thing is I had a new inner and outer replaced a few months ago. The problem was there before and after although not as bad but has got worse now.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Mechs rarely fail. Take if off, GT85 it, then check how easily the cable pulls through by hand from the shifter. If the mech is straight and not bent, and the spring is intact, it's the cable. Not all cables are equal.

Salty seadog likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Illaveago and biggs682 like this.
  6. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

i tend to agree with @fossyant , mechs normally work or dont work imho

7. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Haha, st tagged you Fossy to get you in here and you've already replied

The mech didn't look bent but I wouldn't know how to tell.

8. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

The mech does work with every click

9. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

It could be the top jockey wheel, does it 'float' freely?

S_t_e_v_e and Salty seadog like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

I'll check tomorrow I'm not with the bike at the mo.

11. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

Get it on the bike stand, disconnect the cable, turn the pedals and move the derailleur by hand 1 gear at a time (be careful not to shove your fingers in the wheel) it may take a few attempts to get a smooth change until you get the feel of things, if all is well follow @fossyant advice above, is your cable routing tortuous ?

12. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

Sorry boss, I was resting my eyes. I'd say it's unlikely to be a cable issue, as when you change down the gears ( going to larger sprockets) you rely on the mighty power of your hands rather than the spring in the mech. This makes it easier to overcome friction due to dirty cables. I'd check the alignment again. I also vaguely recall something about cable routing where it attached to the mech and if you get it "wrong" you mess up the pull ratio. This might have been for a front mech though. Make sure the screw in adjuster has a couple of threads engaged and isn't just held in place by good luck and cable tension.

Illaveago and raleighnut like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Cable is internal going under the BB a short length of outer then through the chainstay, no sharp bends.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2018
    Illaveago and Afnug like this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

The 105 ten speed certainly has this alternate position to allow it to index on 8/9 speed.

15. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Cheers Tim, sorry to wake you. I've got adjusters at the mech and the lever and they both work fine as I can change up and down using both of them.
    Checked hanger intensity but will again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice