Shifting problems. New derailleur?

New derailleur or not.

• No and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Right, I've been having shifting problems for a while. I can shift down the first 5 gears {from smallest Sprocket going up the block} fine by then the last 5 I have to hold the lever for a second or two to shift down and they sound a bit chatty. This is in the big ring up front. In the small ring shifting is similar except to change down I have to increase cable tension with the adjuster at the lever. Then going back sk to the big ring I have to let some tension out to quieten it down but it still behaves as described at the beginning.

New inner and outer put on a few months ago and today new chain and cassette as it was due. Also checked hanger alignment.

Still the problem is there.

This leaves me to suspect a new derailleur may be needed.

Sorry about the long post. Any thoughts appreciated.

wisdom

Guru
Could be a cable problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mechs rarely fail. Take if off, GT85 it, then check how easily the cable pulls through by hand from the shifter. If the mech is straight and not bent, and the spring is intact, it's the cable. Not all cables are equal.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Mechs rarely fail. Take if off, GT85 it, then check how easily the cable pulls through by hand from the shifter. If the mech is straight and not bent, and the spring is intact, it's the cable. Not all cables are equal.

Haha, st tagged you Fossy to get you in here and you've already replied

The mech didn't look bent but I wouldn't know how to tell.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It could be the top jockey wheel, does it 'float' freely?

Venod

Eh up
Get it on the bike stand, disconnect the cable, turn the pedals and move the derailleur by hand 1 gear at a time (be careful not to shove your fingers in the wheel) it may take a few attempts to get a smooth change until you get the feel of things, if all is well follow @fossyant advice above, is your cable routing tortuous ?

Tim Hall

Sorry boss, I was resting my eyes. I'd say it's unlikely to be a cable issue, as when you change down the gears ( going to larger sprockets) you rely on the mighty power of your hands rather than the spring in the mech. This makes it easier to overcome friction due to dirty cables. I'd check the alignment again. I also vaguely recall something about cable routing where it attached to the mech and if you get it "wrong" you mess up the pull ratio. This might have been for a front mech though. Make sure the screw in adjuster has a couple of threads engaged and isn't just held in place by good luck and cable tension.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Get it on the bike stand, disconnect the cable, turn the pedals and move the derailleur by hand 1 gear at a time (be careful not to shove your fingers in the wheel) it may take a few attempts to get a smooth change until you get the feel of things, if all is well follow @fossyant advice above, is your cable routing tortuous ?

Cable is internal going under the BB a short length of outer then through the chainstay, no sharp bends.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry boss, I was resting my eyes. I'd say it's unlikely to be a cable issue, as when you change down the gears ( going to larger sprockets) you rely on the mighty power of your hands rather than the spring in the mech. This makes it easier to overcome friction due to dirty cables. I'd check the alignment again. I also vaguely recall something about cable routing where it attached to the mech and if you get it "wrong" you mess up the pull ratio. This might have been for a front mech though. Make sure the screw in adjuster has a couple of threads engaged and isn't just held in place by good luck and cable tension.
The 105 ten speed certainly has this alternate position to allow it to index on 8/9 speed.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Cheers Tim, sorry to wake you. I've got adjusters at the mech and the lever and they both work fine as I can change up and down using both of them.
Checked hanger intensity but will again.

Top Bottom