Shifting problems. New derailleur?

New derailleur or not.

• No and I'll tell you why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
To be honest I don't see the point of through-frame cabling. What's the advantage? From what I've read over the past year or so, it's simply a pain. But then I'm Luddite enough to prefer fully enclosed cables..

To be fair it looks better , some are a lot easier to do than others, this bike being one of the others. I will learn the trick.

si_c

Guru
To be fair it looks better , some are a lot easier to do than others, this bike being one of the others. I will learn the trick.
Yeah they can be a pain. The trick I think is to make sure that you remove either the inner, or the outer, but not both at the same time. Having said that I only have one bike with internal routed cabling and it's relatively easy to work with - massive exit port at the bottom bracket. The other bikes I have all have downtube shifters - never a problem there!

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Yeah they can be a pain. The trick I think is to make sure that you remove either the inner, or the outer, but not both at the same time. Having said that I only have one bike with internal routed cabling and it's relatively easy to work with - massive exit port at the bottom bracket. The other bikes I have all have downtube shifters - never a problem there!

Indeed, I have one which should be easy the 901 mtb which has large ports like yours. The Roubaix I think will be a bit like the Montpellier I'm working on. The other two are external cabling.

Sorry ! I fell asleep counting the rear sprockets . Is it fixed yet ? :whistle:

I hope the new cable fixes the problem . If it still persists, take a look at the rear cage ? Looking at your pictures they seem slightly miss aligned .

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Sorry ! I fell asleep counting the rear sprockets . Is it fixed yet ? :whistle:

I hope the new cable fixes the problem . If it still persists, take a look at the rear cage ? Looking at your pictures they seem slightly miss aligned .

There are 60 sprockets in that post. Not fixed yet as per my earlier post it's in the shop. If that doesn't sort it I can only assume the mech is out of whack, it's the only thing left.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had a problem that was similar, and what I tried was this-
first, I checked the derailleur hanger, which was okay.
But when I checked the derailleur itself, the rear cage between the sprockets was twisted.
I re-aligned this, and all was well.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

I had a problem that was similar, and what I tried was this-
first, I checked the derailleur hanger, which was okay.
But when I checked the derailleur itself, the rear cage between the sprockets was twisted.
I re-aligned this, and all was well.

That'll be the conclusion I come to if this new cable doesn't sort it. Chain and cassette replaced as it was time anyway, hanger checked and fine, rear mech deep cleaned and jockey wheels serviced/regreased. No visible sign that the mech is twisted or bent but it's the last piece in the puzzle.

Top Bottom