Shimano 10 speed triple with 9 speed chain??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
OK, so my 2011 trike needs a new chainset. It's a 27 speed recumbent currently with the SRAM version of Hollowtech BB and I'll swap it to Shimano bearings [the GXP bearings need replacing anyway and my other trike uses Shimano Hollowtech] and finding a suitable touring style 9 speed triple is like looking for rocking horse droppings.

I'd rather not spend a shed load of money going fully 10 speed, so......

1. Can I run a 10 speed triple with a 9 speed chain, or do I need to fit a 10 speed chain too?
2. Assuming I do fit a 10 speed chain, will my 9 speed cassette have any issues with the chain?

I'm aware that the inner measurements are identical. It's whether a 9 speed chain would foul the adjacent ring at the front, or a 10 speed chain drop between cogs at the rear.

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
9 speed triple, have you looked on ebay

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll let others answer your question (but I think it won't matter - the choice I'd make is to run a 9sp chain on a 10sp crankset) but, if square taper, Spa Cycles?

si_c

Guru
Will run fine. Chainring spacing is fairly consistent all the way up to 11 speed - it's just the chain width that narrows for the sprockets at the back. Shimano 8,9, 10 and some 11 speed chainsets all have the same spacing between rings for example.

Top Bottom