Shimano 105 STI not pulling front derailleur cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleCommute.CC

Lifeline cables will be fine. Might not last as long but will work.

You need to get that end cap inserted properly and pulled tight by the other end of the cable. This should be done with the shifter in the smallest ring position

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, think so
It is in the right hole, but it isn't actually in it, if you get me. It should be fully inside and not wedged against the body like it is in your photo, which is why it won't pull. Can be a little fiddly at first and that caught me out too when I fitted mine.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Is the rear cable still attached? Copy where it sits in the hole, make sure all the slack is taken out when you try it and you should be fine then.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I think it's in the right hole ( according to the docs)

I think it's the right hole, but surely the nipple should go inside it and not sit on the outside?That looks like the nipple is possibly too big (which is odd cos I thought that Shimano gear nipples were the biggest of the various types, certainly they're bigger than Campagnolo ones (and come to think of it, modern Sturmey Archer ones too)...

robgul

Legendary Member
The nipple often needs poking into the hole with a "pick" (i.e. sharp pointed tool) as the curvature on the cable springs the nipple out of the guide channel and not up to the stop in the lever.

Once it's seated properly (and you need to do that in the default lever position) - if you hold the end of the cable taut and then work the lever you should feel it move. All of the "under the tape" cable replacements are tricky - it's often simpler to ease the lever off the bars, pulling the tape aside carefully, to be able to fit the new cable in the very small holes before it gets to the cable outer.

Rob

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who replied, the nipple wasn't seated correctly. It is now.

Attachments

• IMG-20190218-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190218-WA0003.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 57

robgul

Legendary Member
Re-visiting this thread I have a customer's bike where the front shifter simply will not pull enough cable to shift from small to large chainring.

The conclusion I've come to, so far, is that the LH cable's nipple is pulling throught the plastic retaining piece in the lever, thus not pulling correctly - looking at the LH nipple it's a lot further into the lever than the RH lever's nipple. The bike is about 14 years old and has the original 105 levers from new.

Anyone else with experience or theories please?

Top Bottom