Shimano Brake Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-mineral-oil-for-disc-brakes-100ml-M934221.html

Seems to be in stock here, which was the first hit on Google?

Ah, just looked at your profile and see you're in Maine, so that won't be much use...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why does it have to be Shimano?
I know regular glycol-ether based car brake fluid is not compatible, but is Shimano brake fluid not just re-branded mineral based brake fluid, as used in some models of car, e.g. Citroen? You can do your own Googling first to be sure, but I use mineral brake fluid in my Shimano hydraulic brakes and have had no issues. Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to tell me I'm a crazy irresponsible fool (we know that already!) and that Richard Branson was probably using mineral brake fluid in this incident....
Mineral brake fluid should be available from most suppliers of car parts.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I know regular glycol-ether based car brake fluid is not compatible, but is Shimano brake fluid not just re-branded mineral based brake fluid, as used in some models of car, e.g. Citroen? You can do your own Googling first to be sure, but I use mineral brake fluid in my Shimano hydraulic brakes and have had no issues. Someone will no doubt be along in a minute to tell me I'm a crazy irresponsible fool (we know that already!) and that Richard Branson was probably using mineral brake fluid in this incident....
I concur. Any mineral brake fluid should be fine.

Alex321

Veteran
There are basically only two types of cycle hydraulic brake fluid - DOT and Mineral.

You can't mix the two types, but you should be able to use any brand of the appropriate type - and yes, Shimano brakes use mineral oil.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Although nobody asked this question Dot 3/4/5.1 are all interchangeable, DOT5 is not compatible with any of them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've just looked at the SDS for the Shimano oil - it is a very light oil with a low level of additives, primarily antioxidant. Viscosity is 8 cSt at 40°C (which incidentally makes it an aspiration hazard and will require childproof caps). The Johnson's Baby Oil SDS doesn't have any viscosity information but I'd assume it was a little heavier. I don't believe that baby oil has a hazardous labelling requirement so it'll have to be >20.5 cSt at 40°C, so somewhat thicker than the Shimano stuff but nonetheless still a reasonable alternative for simple hydraulic use with little chance of compatibility issues.

I'd say that any very light mineral oil would do it, if the genuine stuff wasn't available, but that Shimano stuff is very light, almost into solvent territory.

TwoStews

I love the thoroughness of that reply @figbat

I've used many different types of mineral oil for Shimano brakes, they all work fine, despite some fearmongers telling you you need the branded stuff.

I once considered using a two stroke mineral oil that I had in my garage when bleeding a set of brakes but decided that was a step too far.

The Shimano stuff is incredibly thin. I'm not sure if a more viscous oil would perform any worse as a hydraulic fluid, but I do imagine it makes the job of burping air bubbles out of the system more tricky 🤔

Top Bottom