Shimano compatible 10 speed chainset wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
As the title states, Im on the market for a 10 speed compatible chainset 172.5mm

My Triban kept throwing the chain as many as three times in one hour and Ive been told by my LBS and another independent bike mechanic that throwing the chain is because the chainset is worn. The independent bike mechanic also told me the set up is perfectly fine but the chainset has worn to such a state that it throws the chain and no amount of front derailleur fettling is going to fix it.

Advised me that replacing the chainset with a Shimano or new chainset would fix the issue. I have eyed up a Tiagra 4700 for just under £80 but i thought i'd shop around and see if anyone has anything to offer that is surplus to requirements before i buy

:edit:

also forgot to add - 50/34T

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
You only need to change the chainring, not the whole crankset

JohnHughes307

Über Member
You might Evan only need to swap one, depending on how you ride - if both chainrings are worn, fair enough but a lot of us spend far more time in one ring than the other. Spa do all sorts of individual chainrings.

davidphilips

Veteran
Ebay is a great place to look, know i have bought a lot of used chainsets for less than the price of new chainrings, only other bit of advice i would offer if buying Shimano take Gunks advice and buy 6600 if going ultegra, Just my view but avoid the newer type of bonded chainsets not only are the chainrings very expensive but the bonding can cause issues (easy to fix but takes overnight to set)

davidphilips

Veteran
Can't find a good 6600. But I am eyeing a really nice 6700 ultegra

Up to yourself but know i try and avoid the hollow chainrings and chainsets.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
you might also need to change your Bottom bracket if you buy a new crankset that isn't compatible with your current bottom bracket

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
you might also need to change your Bottom bracket if you buy a new crankset that isn't compatible with your current bottom bracket

I have a BB-R60 waiting (it cost me like £11 or 12 about a year or so ago..) Been meaning to get ride of the off brand Decathlon BB for a while now too, Just never got around to it.

Top Bottom