Shimano Tiagra 10 right shifter - cable jammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The last thing I need to sort in order to ride (what was) my pride and joy (but has become a pita) is (yet again) a jammed cable end,
It is locked in solid in the shifter, there is no fraying.
I can push it and wiggle it but it just won't budge.
This is a known issue.
It's a two week wait for the LBS to fix.
It happened before when the rear mech was corroded and not pivoting in freely.
This time it happened when I was swapping out the mech, it must have got pulled or dislodged in the shifter.

Anyone know how to get the damn thing out.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You will just have to wiggle and jiggle it out I'm afraid. If you have something like a seal pick with a shaped end it can assist. I usually cut the cable off with about 3ins to spare and then use that to try and wiggle it back through the shifter

have you tried taking the cover plate off to give you better access ? this is for 105 but i know my tiagra 4700 has a simialr thing and might give you some more wiggle room
https://www.bgradecyclist.com/gear/remove-snapped-gear-cable-shimano-105-shifter/
I don't know these units (am guessing they are drop bar - I'm a flat bar person) but if any screws are involved in taking this plate off I would strongly advise investing in some JIS screwdrivers before getting to grips with the screws.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I don't know these units (am guessing they are drop bar - I'm a flat bar person) but if any screws are involved in taking this plate off I would strongly advise investing in some JIS screwdrivers before getting to grips with the screws.
There isn't anything to unscrew that will help in this instance. There is a little plastic cover plate that just slots into place on the inside of the shifter just behind where the cable appears and covers the guide slot where the cable sits - it just flicks out easily.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There isn't anything to unscrew that will help in this instance. There is a little plastic cover plate that just slots into place on the inside of the shifter just behind where the cable appears and covers the guide slot where the cable sits - it just flicks out easily.
in my tiagra 4700 its held in with a screw like this
1618933926617.png

iluvmybike

Über Member
The part I am talking about isn't that - pull the rubber hood further forward - it should slightly forward of that (often a grey colour) and covers where the cable comes through from the outside into a curved plastic channel. It is numbered as part 10 in the diagram below:
1618934574562.png

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I DID IT - cable is out!

I turned the frame upside down and I could see the end of the cable end much better. I go a sewing pin and a small flat head screw driver and nudged it and nudged it. It took many many attempts until finally it just pushed out.

I then learnt all about internal cable routing - what a joy that is.

I am one component away from having my bike back in action.

Top Bottom